Medical Weight Loss Program in Reston, Virginia
Losing weight on your own can be difficult and frustrating. At Reston Hospital Center, our team is here to help. Our comprehensive Medical Weight Loss Program provides overweight individuals with a structured and medically supervised option to lose weight through nutrition and exercise.
To learn more about our weight management program, please call (703) 234-7406.
The Medical Weight Loss Program is an addition to our existing surgical weight loss program at Reston Hospital. As a Blue Cross Blue Shield Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery, our program's team members are committed to delivering safe, quality care for patients.
To accompany patients on their journey, our program offers a certified bariatric nurse, registered dietitians, physical therapists and a fitness specialist who are specially trained in medical weight loss.
Medical weight loss details and resources
Weight loss success story – Bob’s weight loss journey
Our ten-week weight management program combines education, exercise and medical supervision to help you reach your weight loss goals. In addition, we offer weekly weigh-ins and review your goals.
Over the course of ten weeks, you'll learn about:
- Satiety and hunger
- Diet and lifestyle choices
- Reading food labels
- Importance of sleep
- Portion control
- Benefits of strength training
- Importance of self-image
- Relapse and ways to avoid it
- How fitness can be fun
We also provide meal replacement products, a 30-minute lecture and then a 60-minute supervised group exercise classes in our gym:
- Tues and Thurs, 4:30pm to 6:00pm (two times a week for four weeks)
- Tues, 4:30pm to 6:00pm (once a week for six weeks)
Guiding you through your weight loss journey
Rosalind (Roz) Barron BSN RN CBN
Roz Barron is a certified bariatric nurse (RN, CBN) and serves as the bariatric program coordinator for Reston Hospital Center. In this role she works in very close contact with patients and our bariatric surgeons. Roz helps maintain the connection and communication between patients, nursing and medical staff. She is both an advocate and a resource to help our patients navigate a successful bariatric surgery journey.
Roz is instrumental in helping to educate our patients on what to expect before, during and after surgery. She leads the education of nursing staff and internal team members on bariatric-specific care. She is also responsible for the monthly bariatric “Staples” support group. This is a free group to anyone looking into bariatric surgery or has had it. Roz partners with our care team to implement continuous process improvement initiatives to ensure that we offer the best care to our patients and referring physician community.
Contact our Bariatric Coordinator at (703) 689-9328 to get started today.
Weight loss surgery before joint replacement surgery
In recent studies, morbidly obese patients who had prior bariatric surgery were 75 percent less likely to have in-hospital complications for hip replacements and 31 percent less likely to have in-hospital complications for knee replacements. The risk for 90-day postoperative complications was also lower, by 14 percent for hip replacements and 61 percent for knee replacements.
Comprehensive weight loss support
When you choose Reston Hospital as your weight loss partner, you gain a team of medical professionals and a variety of resources to help you successfully lose weight. Our comprehensive weight loss support services include:
- Free information sessions: We offer free weight loss surgery seminars to interested patients. Reservations are required. Please register for a seminar online or call (877) 689-3627.
- Support groups: Support groups give weight loss surgery patients an invaluable opportunity to share their personal experiences with weight loss and to learn from other patients’ experiences. To learn more about the next support group meeting, please call (877) 689-3627.
- Therapy and fitness programs: Reston Hospital offers medically supervised fitness and therapy programs on campus to help you reach your weight loss goals.
- Nutrition services: Our registered dietitians at Reston Hospital provide ongoing nutritional support by developing a personalized nutrition plan for you.
- Medical weight loss: We offer a 10-week intense medical weight loss program for those who wish to lose between 10 to 40 pounds. For more information, please call (703) 689-9328.
Medical Weight Loss Program location and admissions
Our program is located within Reston Hospital Center, with ample free parking and valet services.
If you are interested in medical weight loss, speak to your primary care provider to receive medical clearance.
Once you are cleared to participate, you will attend a one-on-one session with a registered dietitian as part of the standard medical clearance evaluation.