Pulmonologists and respiratory therapists in Reston, Virginia
Struggling to breathe can be frightening and stressful. At Reston Hospital Center, our pulmonary experts specialize in diagnosing respiratory problems and providing compassionate, effective treatment for patients with acute and chronic lung diseases. Our goal is restore your pulmonary function so you can return to your normal life and breathe freely again.
To find a pulmonary specialist or to speak to a nurse 24/7, please call (877) 689-3627.
Lung conditions and diseases we treat
Our highly skilled pulmonary specialists in Reston offer treatment for a wide range of pulmonary conditions, including:
- Lung cancer
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Fibrogenic diseases, such as sarcoidosis, pulmonary fibrosis and cystic fibrosis
Our expert team will work with you to create a personalized care plan for your long-term health. We further enable our patients to get healthy and stay healthy through:
- Education about your specific condition
- Encouraging positive lifestyle changes
- Access to the latest treatments, therapies and medications
Respiratory services and treatments
At Reston Hospital, our priorities go beyond standard fixes to provide you with effective, long-term respiratory solutions. We are proud to offer our patients a wide variety of diagnostic and treatment options using the latest technology.
Some of our pulmonary care services include:
- Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy
- Bi-level positive airway pressure (BiPAP) therapy
- Trilogy therapy
- New oxygen-weaning therapy
- Sleep center diagnostics
- Exercise training for patients
- Advanced asthma treatments
- Pulmonary function testing
A bronchoscopy is a visual examination of the air passages leading into the lungs using a bronchoscope—a long, thin tube with a camera on the tip. Bronchoscopies are used to diagnose and treat conditions involving the lungs and trachea, including bleeding, difficulty breathing, chest pain or obstructions in the airway.
Pulmonary function testing
Pulmonary function tests, including pulmonary stress tests, are breathing tests that indicate how well your lungs are working, including how much air you can blow out, how much air your lungs can hold and how hard you can blow air out.
Pulmonary function testing helps your doctor see the lungs at work, providing important information for accurately diagnosing symptoms, such as coughing, wheezing or trouble breathing, and determining the most effective treatment options. Pulmonary stress tests help determine if lung cancer patients have the capacity to undergo surgery.
Asthma is a chronic condition of the airways within the lungs. It narrows those airways and makes breathing difficult. If you're having an asthma attack, we determine your peak airflow and provide appropriate treatments, typically with bronchodilators, steroids or other medications.
Thoracic cancer care
Thoracic cancer refers to cancers that develop within the chest, which can include lung, esophageal, pleural, mediastinal and chest wall tumors.
Reston Hospital offers the most advanced cancer care in Northern Virginia, including early screening, prompt diagnosis with esophageal and endobronchial ultrasounds and robotic thoracic surgery.
If you are diagnosed with thoracic cancer, our thoracic oncology nurse navigator serves as your main point of contact, providing guidance, advocacy and support throughout your journey to recovery.
Lung cancer screening
With lung cancer now the leading cause of cancer death in the U.S., early detection and diagnosis are key to survival for people at risk. We stress the importance of preventive steps to safeguard your health, and we offer computed tomography (CT) lung cancer screenings.
Lung and thoracic surgery
Reston Hospital's Institute for Robotics & Advanced Minimally Invasive Surgery uses advanced technology to treat conditions of the lungs, thymus gland, mediastinum (area of the chest cavity separating the lungs), esophagus and nerves in the sympathetic nervous system.
Your surgeon has several options for lung and thoracic surgery and will choose the method that best works for your health and needs:
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS): Uses a tiny, high-definition video camera (a thoracoscope) and special miniature instruments to assist with internal examination, biopsy or treatment of tissues in the space between the lungs
- Conventional thoracoscopy: Uses a tiny lens and light source, similar to an endoscope or cystoscope, instead of a video camera for the procedure
- Conventional lobectomy: Removes a lobe of the lung, usually to treat early-stage lung cancer
- Segmentectomy: Removes part of an organ, gland or tumor and surrounding tissue
- Lung biopsy: Retrieves a sample of lung cells for examination to reveal the presence or extent of disease
- Mediastinoscopy and mediastinal surgery: Examines the center part of the chest cavity, often to determine the extent of lymph node involvement in lung cancer to view the status of the organs and glands in the chest
- Pericardial window: Drains fluid from the membrane surrounding the heart
Our on-site Reston Therapy & Fitness Center provides pulmonary rehabilitation and care for individuals with acute and chronic lung conditions. Our team of pulmonologists, respiratory specialists and therapists work together to develop a plan of care that gives you the best results.