Comprehensive maternity services in Reston
When you want an award-winning OB/GYN team to help you start or expand your family, come to Reston Hospital Center. Whether this is your first child or your fourth, we help you stay healthy during pregnancy, prepare and plan for childbirth and care for yourself and your newborn with confidence.
Reston Hospital Center's birth center in Northern Virginia is nationally recognized for our high-quality care. For three consecutive years we have received Excellence Awards in Obstetrics and Gynecology and Labor and Delivery from Healthgrades™.
This means we are among the top 10 percent of maternity hospitals evaluated for exceptional care and clinical outcomes during childbirth.
For more information about our prenatal care services, please call our Birth Navigator at (703) 639-9538.
Specialized prenatal care
When you find out you're having a baby, your world changes immediately. Our OB/GYNs are dedicated to helping you—and your unborn baby— stay healthy throughout your pregnancy, while giving you the care and education to approach motherhood with confidence and excitement.
When you choose us for your prenatal care and as your maternity hospital, you gain a birth center with the backing of a full-service medical center. We offer:
- Experience you can count on: Our highly trained OB/GYNs, anesthesiologists, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists, nurse practitioners and certified nurse midwives are committed to providing superior, coordinated care for you and your baby
- Focused care during childbirth and after delivery: We offer a calm, soothing environment to give you the best labor and delivery experience and our comprehensive postpartum services provide you the support and resources you need after giving birth and transitioning home
- Expert neonatal services: If needed, we have a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit on site staffed with neonatal specialists to care for ill or premature newborns
- Valet parking and convenient access: Whether you're far along in your pregnancy or in labor, getting in and out is easy here. Our new Garage A and West Wing entrance opening allows for a worry-free and quick access to our Labor & Delivery and Postpartum floors and complimentary valet is available for hospital patients Monday through Friday from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. and from 6 a.m. – 9 p.m. on the weekends.
Regular visits with your obstetrician or OB/GYN is the best way for you to stay healthy during your pregnancy. A recommended prenatal visit schedule is:
- Weeks 4-28: One visit per month
- Weeks 29-36: One visit every two to three weeks
- Weeks 37-40: One visit per week
During these prenatal visits, your OB/GYN will check your vitals, take urine samples and listen to the baby's heartbeat. Around Week 20, your OB will start measuring how much your belly has grown and determine the baby's position. Certain appointments will include an ultrasound, a blood draw and a glucose test to check for gestational diabetes. You'll also have the chance to ask questions and discuss any concerns with your physician.
Personalized birth planning
Our birth navigator is a nurse who helps you design your perfect birth experience. We’ll help you plan a comfortable, memorable delivery that works for you. You choose from an array of services, including midwifery care and low-intervention birth options, such as natural pain management, wireless fetal monitoring and delayed umbilical cord clamping. We also welcome and support doula care.
Reston Hospital provides a wide range of childbirth classes to help you prepare for childbirth and feel ready to take care of your newborn baby. Our maternity and childbirth classes include:
We offer guided tours of our maternity unit, so you know what to expect when you go into labor and can ask questions ahead of time. The tours are free, but registration is required.
To sign up for a maternity class or tour, please register online or call (877) 689-3627.
High-risk pregnancy care
It is natural to feel nervous if you are carrying multiples, have a medical condition or have had previous problems during pregnancy or labor and delivery. You can take comfort knowing our perinatologists are ready to make any high-risk pregnancy as safe and smooth as possible.
On-site neonatal services
Our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) is prepared to provide gentle, expert care in the event your newborn needs extra attention. Our NICU features neonatologists from Children’s National Medical Center, the nation’s leader in neonatology according to U.S. News and World Report. The clinical expertise of Children’s National, paired with the quality and convenience of Reston Hospital Center, means the highest level of neonatal care is available for your baby right here in Reston.