Rehabilitation center in Northern Virginia
Reston Hospital offers one of the most sophisticated inpatient and outpatient physical rehabilitation programs through our on-site Reston Therapy & Fitness Center. We have a successful record of helping patients of all abilities recover, regain skills and improve quality of life as quickly as possible.
For more information about our inpatient rehab center, please call (703) 949-9650. To learn more about our outpatient rehab services, please call (703) 689-9250.
Our rehabilitation specialists offer advanced, integrated rehab services for a wide variety of therapies on both an inpatient and outpatient basis. Your care comes from highly skilled and licensed therapists who are trained in a variety of condition-specific therapies.
We tailor our programs to meet your needs using advanced technologies and the backing of our full-service, elite medical center.
Comprehensive physical rehabilitation services
Patients and their families from the Northern Virginia area choose us for our:
- Advanced care with a personal touch: Because our program is hospital based, you benefit from a therapy or exercise program tailored to your specific healthcare needs.
- Individualized treatment plans: We offer dynamic, customized and one-on-one evaluation, training, rehabilitation and performance enhancement programs.
- Certified therapists working with you: Our therapists are experienced and certified in a variety of rehabilitation specialties, including hand therapy, knee physical therapy and more.
- Facilities dedicated to rehabilitation care: Reston Therapy & Fitness Center offers the best in fitness equipment and training. We also offer unique inpatient facilities for total joint replacement rehabilitation, including a practice staircase and car to help patients feel confident in their new joint.
- Convenient location: Inpatient therapy and outpatient therapy is offered at Reston Hospital Center's main campus, near Reston Town Center.
Reston Therapy and Fitness Center offers physical therapy (PT) to help you protect, strengthen or restore muscle and motor function.
Our occupational therapy (OT) program focuses on improving your daily activities and regaining physical independence. Our occupational therapists assist with helping you relearn skills for daily living, like bathing, toileting and personal hygiene. We can also help determine if assistive devices or adjustments are necessary at home.
Our speech therapists in Reston develop the proper rehabilitation plan in the effort to help you reach your highest motor, neurological and overall oral capabilities. We provide a wide range of services to help you achieve the highest possible level of speech and swallowing abilities:
- Aphasia: Focusing on reading, writing, speaking, comprehension, word finding and math skills
- Cognition and memory: Developing strategies for patients to improve attention, problem solving and memory
- Facial weakness: Emphasizing the movement and coordination of weakened facial muscles in therapy to improve the quality of speech
- Swallowing: Modified barium swallow studies (MBS), also called videofluoroscopy, to analyze a patient’s swallowing biomechanics; Swallowing exercises and patient education on identifying appropriate diet textures, improving swallow abilities and reducing the risk of aspiration
- Voice: Improving an individual’s vocal quality, reducing vocal cord abuse, managing nodules, optimizing breathing patterns and increasing speaking volume
If you have already met with our staff and they have recommended a swallow study, please call (703) 689-9310 to reach the specialists in charge of those procedures.
Reston Hospital’s inpatient rehabilitation program is designed to help patients recover as quickly and as safely as possible following a surgery, medical emergency or diagnosis.
Our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center is an 18-bed unit located on the third floor of the main hospital. All rooms are private and each is equipped with a walk-in shower, grab bars and adaptive equipment for toileting and grooming, including ADA sinks and toilets.
Inpatient rehabilitation begins as soon as possible while the patient is still in the hospital. If additional rehabilitation therapies are necessary after discharge, we can also provide outpatient rehab through Reston Therapy & Fitness Center.
In addition to inpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy, we also offer the following specialized inpatient rehabilitation programs.
Neurological rehabilitation helps patients recover functions and independence after a neurological event, such as a cerebrovascular accident (stroke), brain surgery or spinal cord injury. Our orthopedic specialists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists and neurological care team work together to create a care plan for you and your needs.
Reston Hospital's pulmonary rehabilitation program is designed for patients with acute and chronic lung conditions. Our pulmonary therapists, physical therapists and pulmonary care specialists work with you to improve lung function and focus on your long-term health.
Inpatient rehab admissions
If you believe that you or someone you know may benefit from any of our inpatient rehabilitation programs at Reston Hospital Center, please call our inpatient rehabilitation admissions team at (703) 949-9650.
We will have a staff member conduct a free evaluation to determine if our program is a good fit for your road to recovery.
Outpatient therapy at Reston Therapy & Fitness Center may begin if a patient has been discharged from the hospital, but still needs therapy services to reach his or her full potential. Or, your doctor may prescribe outpatient therapy to help with a health condition.
In addition to outpatient physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and hand therapy, we offer the outpatient services listed below.
Being diagnosed with cancer is hard enough, but sometimes the lifesaving treatments a cancer patient needs can result in medical problems that interfere with daily function. Our cancer rehabilitation program in Reston has been created to help cancer patients and survivors heal physically and emotionally from the side effects of treatments.
We provide our patients with the most comprehensive rehabilitation care available, and all of our services are reimbursable by health insurance providers. Having access to world-class follow-up care, without added medical costs, will allow survivors to regain their health and get their lives back on track.
Lymphedema is a condition that occurs in patients who have had their lymph nodes removed, infected or damaged. Lymphedema involves fluid retention and swelling in the arms, legs and other parts of the body related to nearby lymph nodes.
We offer complete decongestive therapy (CDT), involving manual lymph drainage (MLD) performed by a lymphedema therapist at our clinic. Lymphedema treatment requires the skills of a certified CDT/MLD therapist, who directs the lymphatic fluid to intact lymph nodes and helps reduce the swelling associated with lymphedema.
Medically supervised fitness
Improved fitness and muscle strength are essential to recovering from many illnesses and injuries, yet traditional exercise facilities aren't equipped to address the unique health needs of each individual. That is why Reston Therapy & Fitness Center offers medically supervised fitness—a transition plan from post-physical therapy to a home exercise program or your normal gym routine.
Sports injury rehabilitation
Our sports medicine team creates customized, physician-directed treatment programs for rehabilitation and sports injury prevention to assist athletes of any sport or skill level.
Outpatient rehab admissions and hours
Outpatient therapy requires a dated physician referral and takes place at our on-site Reston Therapy & Fitness Center. If you will be participating in exercise, the referral should state medical clearance for exercise.
To schedule an outpatient therapy appointment, or if you would like more information about our services, please call (703) 689-9250.
Outpatient therapy hours of operation:
- Mon - Thurs: 6:30am - 7:30pm
- Fri: 6:30am - 3pm