Rehabilitation centers in northern Virginia
Reston Hospital Center offers one of the most sophisticated inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation programs in the area. Outpatient therapy is provided at our on-site Reston Therapy & Fitness Center. Inpatient care is offered in our 18-bed inpatient rehabilitation center. Overall, we have a successful record of helping patients of all abilities recover, regain skills and improve quality of life as quickly as possible.
For more information about our inpatient rehab center, please call (703) 949-9650. To learn more about our outpatient rehab services, please call (703) 689-9250.
Reston Hospital's rehabilitation team offers advanced, integrated inpatient and outpatient rehab services for a wide variety of therapies. Your care comes from highly skilled and licensed therapists who are trained in a variety of condition-specific therapies.
We tailor our programs to meet your needs using advanced technologies and the backing of our full-service, elite medical center.
Comprehensive physical rehabilitation services
Patients and their families from the northern Virginia area choose us for our:
- Advanced care with a personal touch: Because our program is hospital-based, you benefit from a therapy or exercise program tailored to your specific healthcare needs.
- Individualized treatment plans: We offer dynamic, customized and one-on-one evaluation, training, rehabilitation and performance enhancement programs.
- Certified therapists working with you: Our therapists are highly skilled and certified in a variety of rehabilitation specialties, including hand therapy, knee physical therapy and more.
- Facilities dedicated to rehabilitation care: Reston Therapy & Fitness Center offers the best in fitness equipment and training. We also offer unique inpatient facilities for total joint replacement rehabilitation, including a practice staircase and car to help patients feel confident in their new joint.
- Convenient location: Inpatient therapy and outpatient therapy is offered at Reston Hospital Center's main campus, near Reston Town Center.
Inpatient Rehabilitation Center
Reston Hospital's inpatient rehabilitation program is designed to help patients recover as quickly and as safely as possible following a traumatic injury, surgery or medical diagnosis.
Our Inpatient Rehabilitation Center is an 18-bed unit located on the third floor of the main hospital. All rooms are private, and each is equipped with a walk-in shower, grab bars and adaptive equipment for toileting and grooming, including ADA sinks and toilets.
Inpatient rehabilitation begins as soon as possible while the patient is still in the hospital. If additional rehabilitation therapies are necessary after discharge, we can also provide outpatient rehab through Reston Therapy & Fitness Center.
In addition to physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy, we also offer the following specialized inpatient rehabilitation programs.
Neurological rehabilitation helps patients recover functions and independence after a neurological event, such as a cerebrovascular accident (stroke), brain surgery or spinal cord injury. Our orthopedic specialists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists and neurological care team work together to create a care plan for you and your needs.
Reston Hospital's pulmonary rehabilitation program is designed for patients with acute and chronic lung conditions. Our pulmonary therapists, physical therapists and pulmonary care specialists work with you to improve lung function and focus on your long-term health.
Inpatient rehab admissions
If you believe that you or someone you know may benefit from any of our inpatient rehabilitation programs at Reston Hospital Center, please call our inpatient rehabilitation admissions team at (703) 949-9650.
We will have a staff member conduct a free evaluation to determine if our program is a good fit for your road to recovery.
Outpatient therapy: Reston Therapy & Fitness Center
At the Reston Therapy & Fitness Center, we provide comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation services for patients, including:
Reston Therapy & Fitness Center offers physical therapy (PT) to help you protect, strengthen or restore muscle and motor function.
Medically supervised fitness
Improved fitness and muscle strength are essential to recovering from many illnesses and injuries, yet traditional exercise facilities aren't equipped to address the unique health needs of each individual. That is why Reston Therapy and Fitness Center offers medically supervised fitness—a transition plan from post-physical therapy to a home exercise program or your normal gym routine.
Exercise is being recognized as medicine worldwide and Doctors are starting to refer patients to start exercising. Lack of exercise and being sedentary has contributed to many common health problems today. Reston Therapy and Fitness Center at The Reston Hospital offers a medically supervised fitness program that is tailored completely to your goals and needs. The medically supervised fitness program caters to people who have or have had:
- Cardiac disease, pulmonary disease, cerebrovascular accident (stroke)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Diabetes, dyslipidemia
- Osteoporosis, osteopenia, arthritis, low back pain
- Cancer, multiple sclerosis, fibromyalgia and many more
Many people would like to exercise but don’t have the proper knowledge on how to get started or what they should be doing. Traditional fitness centers typically cater to a younger and more independent population. These facilities often offer minimal assessments and minimal assistance in exercise program setup, progression, guidance, and equipment orientation/instruction.
What is a medically supervised fitness program?
- A fitness program that is specific to your certain medical conditions and needs
- Supervised by an Exercise Physiologist that tracks specific vitals and exercise progression
- Involves a medical evaluation, fitness assessment, and constant re-evaluations for progression
- Includes one on one training for those who cannot exercise on their own or would like direct supervision
To learn more about Reston Therapy & Fitness Center and our Medically Supervised Fitness Program, please call 703-689-9250.
Sports injury rehabilitation
Our specialists in sports medicine creates customized, physician-directed treatment programs for rehabilitation and sports injury prevention to assist athletes of any sport or skill level.
Our occupational therapy (OT) program focuses on improving your daily activities and regaining physical independence. Our occupational therapists assist with helping you relearn skills for daily living, like bathing, toileting and personal hygiene. We can also help determine if assistive devices or adjustments are necessary at home.
Our speech therapists develop the proper rehabilitation plan in the effort to help you reach your highest motor, neurological and overall oral capabilities. We provide a wide range of services to help you achieve the highest possible level of speech and swallowing abilities:
- Aphasia: Focusing on reading, writing, speaking, comprehension, word finding and math skills
- Cognition and memory: Developing strategies for patients to improve attention, problem solving and memory
- Facial weakness: Emphasizing the movement and coordination of weakened facial muscles in therapy to improve the quality of speech
- Swallowing: Modified barium swallow studies (MBS), also called videofluoroscopy, to analyze a patient’s swallowing biomechanics; Swallowing exercises and patient education on identifying appropriate diet textures, improving swallow abilities and reducing the risk of aspiration
- Voice: Improving an individual’s vocal quality, reducing vocal cord abuse, managing nodules, optimizing breathing patterns and increasing speaking volume
If you have already met with our staff and they have recommended a swallow study, please call (703) 689-9310 to reach the specialists in charge of those procedures.
Outpatient rehab admissions and hours
Outpatient therapy requires a dated physician referral and takes place at our on-site Reston Therapy & Fitness Center. If you will be participating in exercise, the referral should state medical clearance for exercise.
To schedule an outpatient therapy appointment, or if you would like more information about our services, please call (703) 689-9250.
Outpatient therapy hours of operation:
- Mon - Thurs: 6:30am - 7:30pm
- Friday: 6:30am - 3pm