Accredited Cancer Center in Northern Virginia
The skilled cancer specialists at Reston Hospital deliver advanced oncology care in a compassionate setting close to home. With the many advances and options for cancer treatment, it is also more important than ever before to have an experienced and caring partner to share your journey, every step of the way, to get you and your loved ones back to your normal lives as soon as possible.
From diagnosis through treatment and beyond, the experienced, board-certified oncologists and specialists at Reston Hospital Center deliver comprehensive, compassionate cancer care that leads to the best possible outcomes.
For more information about our cancer care program, please call (877) 689-3627.
- Radiation oncology accreditation from the American College of Radiation (ACR)
- Accreditation by the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) and their Commission on Cancer (CoC) for outstanding cancer care
- Breast Center of Excellence designation and full three-year accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)
When you choose Reston Hospital for your cancer care, we get to know you as a person, so we can provide you with a customized cancer treatment plan tailored to your unique needs. Our team of medical professionals meets regularly to review the details of your individual case, map out your treatment plan and monitor your progress.
Types of cancer we treat
Reston Hospital provides comprehensive cancer care for adults with the following cancers:
- Bladder cancer
- Blood cancer
- Breast cancer
- Cervical cancer
- Colorectal cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Gynecologic cancer
- Head, neck and brain cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Liver cancer
- Lung cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Prostate and genitourinary cancers (bladder, kidney, testicular, urethral)
- Skin cancer
- Thyroid cancer
Cancer treatments and services
Our comprehensive cancer services and treatments at Reston Hospital include:
- A comfortable and welcoming location at Ann B. Rodriguez Cancer Cancer on the Reston Hospital campus to help manage your cancer care in one central location
- Advanced diagnostic imaging services, which give your oncologist fast access to test results
- Infusion Center for chemotherapy, biotherapy and other infusion services
- Radiation therapy
- State-of-the-art surgical techniques, including robotic surgery, stereotactic radiosurgery and more
- Nutrition services
- Cancer rehabilitation services, including lymphedema support
- Cancer support services, including support groups, cancer counseling, educational programs, spiritual guidance, community outreach and more
- Participation in the Cancer Registry, which focuses on collecting data about cancer cases, and participation in the National Cancer Data Base (NCBD), which explores trends in cancer care and creates regional and state benchmarks for hospital quality improvements
- The Step Sisters Support Services, a program that identifies patients who face challenges with transportation, childcare or other factors that may hinder treatment
Surgery remains a key component of cancer care and the most common treatment for many cancer patients. In addition to tumor removal, surgery may be recommended to keep a cancer from occuring.
Other surgeries may be used for diagnosing cancer, easing pain, relieving side effects or supporting related procedures, such as inserting a chemotherapy port or reconstructing damaged tissue.
Cancer surgeries at Reston Hospital may include:
- Endobronchial and endoscopic ultrasound for precise images and tissue biopsy of complex body systems
- Sentinel node biopsy to determine the extent of cancer in adjacent lymph nodes
- Linear accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS), sometimes described as "surgery without surgery"
- Minimally invasive endoscopic/laparoscopic surgical staging (tissue sampling/biopsy) and resection
- High-heat radiofrequency ablation (RFA) and RFA-assisted resection
- Minimally invasive robotic surgery for less scarring, less blood loss and a quicker recovery
At Reston Hospital, we provide a comprehensive lymphedema treatment program through the rehabilitation services of our Reston Therapy & Fitness Center.
Edema means swelling. When lymph nodes are removed or damaged during cancer treatment, you may be at risk for fluid retention or swelling in your arms, legs and other parts of the body related to nearby lymph nodes, called lymphedema.
To schedule an appointment for lymphedema therapy, please call (703) 689-9250. Appointments are available Monday through Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Please provide your insurance information and a dated prescription from your doctor confirming your diagnosis.
Oncology nurse navigators
Our skilled cancer team includes oncology nurse navigators who help coordinate your cancer care at Reston Hospital. Our nurse navigators act as your liaison with our oncology specialists, provide education and support and guide you through the entire process—from diagnosis to survivorship.
Cancer screenings and risk assessments
Reston Hospital offers a wide range of cancer screenings, including:
- Breast cancer screening (mammography and ultrasound)
- Gynecologic cancer screening (pelvic exam, Pap smear, HPV test)
- Colorectal cancer screening (colonoscopy)
- Lung cancer screening (low-dose CT scan)
- Prostate cancer screening (digital rectal exam and PSA test)
- Skin cancers (visual screening)
We also provide online surveys to help you assess your risk for developing certain cancers:
- Breast cancer risk assessment
- Colon cancer risk assessment
- Lung cancer risk assessment
- Prostate cancer risk assessment
Cancer support and community connections
At Reston Hospital, we emphasize cancer education and prevention, so you are likely to find us in your neighborhood offering services and participating in various community events such as health fairs or American Cancer Society's Relay for Life.
Our medical professionals also bring their expertise to your community group, support group, company, business or professional organization as speakers and presenters who provide cancer education for prevention. Call Reston Hospital's Physician Relations at (703) 689-9566 to make arrangements.
Hospice and palliative care
Palliative care aims to relieve the discomfort, symptoms and stress of serious illness and to improve quality of life for the patient and his or her caregivers. Hospice care is a type of specialized care that focuses on the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of terminally ill patients and their families.
Reston Hospital does not directly provide hospice or palliative care, but our team can connect you to local resources and help you navigate these services.