Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Northern Virginia
While we cannot always predict which babies will need specialized neonatal care, Reston Hospital Center is always prepared. Our NICU features neonatologists from Children’s National Medical Center, the nation’s leader in neonatology according to U.S. News and World Report. The clinical expertise of Children’s National, paired with the quality and convenience of Reston Hospital Center, means a higher level of care due to premature birth, labor complications or birth defects. Our Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) in Reston is equipped to treat even the smallest and sickest babies. Our highly trained neonatologists provide critical care immediately, when precious minutes matter.
To learn more about delivering at Reston Hospital Center, please call our Birth Navigator at 703-639-9538.
Our Level III NICU team offers compassionate, focused short- and long-term care for newborns with many conditions and complications, including:
- Premature birth
- Low birth weight
- Complications during labor and delivery, including breech birth, lack of oxygen, meconium in the lungs or the umbilical cord circling the baby's neck
- Birth abnormalities, including spina bifida, Down syndrome, structural heart conditions and gastroschisis (when the intestines grow outside the body)
- Infections ranging from group B streptococcus to chlamydia and herpes
- Respiratory problems, including rapid breathing and apnea (pauses during breathing)
- Medical conditions such as hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures and jaundice
- Exposure to opioids, other drugs or alcohol in the womb
Specialized NICU hospital close to home
Pregnancy and birth can be as complicated as they are remarkable. Sometimes you know you your baby may need extra medical attention after birth, such as with a high-risk pregnancy. However, unexpected circumstances can arise at any time. That is why it is important to choose a birth center that is prepared to handle any situation.
If your baby needs to spend time in our NICU, rest assured we offer expert care and abundant attention. Families choose our NICU hospital for:
- Top neonatologists and neonatal specialists: Under our partnership, patients now have access to the clinical expertise of Children's National providers in a location closer to home. Children’s National was recently ranked number one in the nation for neonatology by U.S. News and World Report for the third year in a row. Our experienced team is led by neonatologists (doctors with advanced training in caring for sick or premature newborns). Your baby’s neonatal team also includes neonatal clinical nurses, pharmacists, social workers, lactation consultants and neonatal specialists in physical therapy and respiratory therapy, all working together to provide complete, coordinated care for your little one.
- Around-the-clock readiness: Our infant resuscitation team and other neonatal specialists are ready to handle emergencies at a moment’s notice. If your baby needs immediate care from a doctor in the middle of the night, we do not have to wait for on-call support to arrive.
- Access to a Level IV NICU: If your baby needs complex subspecialty or surgical care, our partnership with Children's National Medical Center means we can help. This nationally ranked pediatric hospital in Washington, D.C., offers the highest level of neonatal intensive care available.
- Comprehensive pediatric care: If your baby’s condition will require additional medical care later in life, we offer advanced pediatric care on-site, including emergency, hospital, specialty and surgical services.
Exceptional neonatal services
We expanded our NICU services through our partnership with Children's National Health System. Children’s National, located in Washington, D.C., was recently ranked number one in the nation for neonatology by U.S. News and World Report for the third year in a row.
Under this new partnership, the care team from Children’s National is now providing on-site advanced short- and long-term care services for babies in our NICU, giving Reston patients access to the clinical expertise of Children's National providers in a location closer to home.
Family-centered neonatal care
Reston Hospital offers the complex intensive care your baby needs as well as the support your family deserves. Our family-centered services include:
- Extended visitation: You can stay by your baby’s side nearly 24 hours a day. Our NICU only limits visitors during two 90-minute shift changes at 6:30am and 6:30pm.
- Unlimited bonding: We encourage you to spend plenty of hands-on time with your baby, holding or feeding as often as you can. We also encourage visitation with siblings (eight years old and older) and grandparents. Visitors are welcome two at a time, accompanied by one or both parents.
- A family waiting room: Our spacious lounge allows you to catch up on work, spend time with other family members, find educational resources or communicate with your baby’s Reston neonatal care team.
- Considerate communication: Our caregivers understand this is a stressful time for your family. We will make sure you stay well informed while we take excellent care of your baby.