Nationally recognized birth center in Northern Virginia
Reston Hospital Center's birthing center is nationally recognized for our high-quality care. For three consecutive years, we have received Excellence Awards in Obstetrics and Gynecology and Labor and Delivery from Healthgrades™.
This recognition means we are among the top 10 percent of maternity hospitals evaluated for exceptional care and clinical outcomes during childbirth.
For more information about our labor and delivery unit, please contact our Birth Navigator at 703-639-9538 or to find an OB-GYN near you call 877-689-3627.
Comprehensive pregnancy and childbirth services
When you choose to deliver your baby at Reston Hospital, you receive customized care starting with our prenatal services and continuing through your delivery. Families choose us for our exceptional standards of maternity care reflected through:
- Experience you can count on: we deliver over 3,000 babies a year. Our childbirth experts—including obstetricians, anesthesiologists, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists, nurse practitioners and certified nurse midwives—work closely as a team to make sure every delivery is safe and smooth.
- Maternity care for every type of pregnancy and delivery: From high-tech monitoring for high-risk pregnancies to low-intervention and midwifery options for natural labor and delivery, we offer support for all types of pregnancies and birth plans, including doula care.
- Antepartum care to help prepare and monitor patients that are hospitalized before delivery: our 4-bed antepartum unit is designed for patient comfort, whether the stay with us is for a few days, a few weeks, or even a few months of pregnancy. Each room features home-like amenities including more comfortable mattresses, mini refrigerators, and space for visitors, along with state-of-the-art equipment and access to top medical care when necessary.
- Dedicated birth nurse navigator: We offer personalized care from a birth nurse navigator to help you throughout your pregnancy journey. To contact our birth navigator, please call (703) 639-9538 or email Shannon.Longendyke@hcahealthcare.com.
- Maternity classes: Reston Hospital offers a wide variety of maternity classes, from breastfeeding to newborn care, to help you prepare for and care for your little one with confidence.
- You and your baby are safe here: Because unexpected complications can occur during labor and delivery, it's important to choose a birth center that can handle emergencies at a moment's notice. We offer a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for premature or critically ill newborns as well as enhanced security measures throughout the labor and delivery unit to ensure your newborn's safety. Our NICU features neonatologists from Children’s National Hospital, the nation’s leader in neonatology according to U.S. News and World Report. The clinical expertise of Children’s National, paired with the quality and convenience of Reston Hospital Center, means a higher level of care due to premature birth, labor complications or birth defects.
- Continuous care for your whole family: Your child can receive pediatric care, including emergency, hospital and specialty care, at Reston Hospital. We also offer women's health services for every stage of life.
- Valet parking and convenient access: Getting in and out is easy at Reston. Our new Garage A and West Wing entrance opening allows for a worry-free and quick access to our labor and delivery and postpartum floors. We provide stress-free access, including ample parking and free valet services at the ER and Pavilion II. Complimentary valet is available for hospital patients Monday through Friday from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. and from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. on the weekends.
Personalized labor and delivery care
At Reston Hospital, you will welcome your baby in a safe, soothing environment. Our birth center in Reston, Virginia, offers:
- A private, peaceful labor experience: Our spacious birthing suites with private bathrooms and showers allow you to labor your way, with the help of your partner or support person.
- Family-friendly setting: Labor and delivery can take time. We offer ample accommodations for you and your partner, including comfortable overnight sleeping arrangements. We also offer two complimentary meals for your support person after you deliver so that can you spend even more valuable time together.
- Around-the-clock physician coverage: Our birth center is staffed by doctors called OB hospitalists, who provide routine and emergency care to patients in the hospital. This means your labor and delivery is managed by a skilled doctor until your own OB/GYN arrives, or in the event your doctor is unavailable.
- A medical team ready for anything: Our team is here for whatever you need, 24/7. We have the latest obstetric technology and resources, including anesthesiologists and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency cesarean sections.
Continued support through postpartum care
After childbirth, our team provides you with comprehensive postpartum care to nurture and educate you through the transition into motherhood. From rooming-in with your baby to breastfeeding help and beyond, we strive to provide you with the support and resources you need to care for and bond with your baby.
Need help personalizing your birth experience? Contact Shannon Longendyke, Birth Navigator
Shannon Longendyke, RN, is an experienced registered nurse and serves as the birth navigator for Reston Hospital Center. In this role, Shannon will:
- Ensure patients feel as comfortable as possible as they prepare for their upcoming delivery at Reston Hospital Center.
- Serve as a nurse leader, resource, friend and advocate for all our families in need.
- Work closely with all clinicians and team members in our maternity services to help provide our patients with a personalized labor, birth, and postpartum experience.
- Oversee all Reston Hospital Center maternity tours and classes, provide private tours, and coordinate multidisciplinary meetings for high-risk cases as needed.
- Help all patients and families navigate through the pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum experience to feel safe, respected, and empowered.