Getting your recommended screenings is one of the most important ways to take care of your health. At Reston Hospital Center, we make this easy and comfortable at our renowned Women's Imaging Center.
Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
The Women's Imaging Center at Reston Hospital, an American College of Radiology Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, has set a new standard in the region for advancing the early detection of breast cancer and other conditions. The center offers a full range of imaging services–from mammography and stereotactic breast biopsy to ultrasound and bone density screening–in a relaxed, spa-like environment where you're treated with respect and compassion.
We're Here for You
Breast cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment can be an overwhelming experience. Our team of highly skilled breast care experts makes your comfort, confidence and well-being a priority. We'll answer your questions and provide accurate screening results in a timely manner so you learn your outcome promptly.
Reston Hospital's breast care team includes radiologists, women's health physicians, certified mammography technologists and others who work closely with you to provide individualized care. You'll also appreciate our breast cancer support groups and other resources.
At the Women's Imaging Center, you benefit from:
- An expert, caring staff – Our specially trained physicians, technologists and office staff share a passion for excellence and strive to make your screening a positive experience. Our dedicated breast care nurse navigators assist you through every stage of diagnosis and treatment, providing support and coordinating care with other hospital departments as needed.
- A full range of services – Unlike some imaging centers, we offer mammography, ultrasound and bone density testing–along with required follow-up tests–all in one setting.
- Advanced technology – Our advanced clinical technology–including digital mammography, 4-D ultrasound and the latest bone density screening equipment–means you get prompt and accurate results.
- Superior comfort in a peaceful setting – Our beautifully appointed waiting area includes comfortable furniture, a complimentary coffee bar and a plasma TV, as well as a children's play space and other amenities to make sure you feel relaxed and at home.
- Scheduling convenience – We schedule your procedure promptly at a time that works best for you–even if it's on a Saturday.
Reston Hospital Breast Care Services
The Breast Center's comprehensive services include:
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Stereotactic radiosurgery
- mammoSite® radiation therapy
- Outpatient infusion
- Single and total mastectomy
- Prophylactic mastectomy
- Breast reconstructive surgery
Women's Imaging Services We Offer
The Women's Imaging Center uses proven best practices and offers the latest screening technology.
3D Mammography (Tomosynthesis)
A screening mammogram is the best way to find breast cancer early–and the earlier the disease is diagnosed, the more likely it can be treated effectively. As women age, their risk of breast cancer increases. For that reason, we recommend a yearly mammogram for women age 40 and older.
3D mammography is the newest technology in the fight against breast cancer that allows doctors to examine your breast tissue one layer at a time. 3D mammography uses high-powered computing to convert digital breast images into a stack of very thin layers or “slices”– building what is essentially a “3-dimensional mammogram”. A good analogy for 3D mammography is like thinking of the pages in a book. If you look down at the cover you cannot see all of the pages – but when you open it up, you can go through the entire book page-by-page to see everything between the covers. 3D mammography is designed with the same concept in mind.
Very low X-ray energy is used during the screening examination so your radiation exposure is below the FDA guidelines. Using 3D mammography and digital mammography together for screening has been proven to significantly reduce “call-backs” by 20-40%.
Stereotactic Breast Biopsy
Stereotactic breast biopsies are conducted by our experienced breast imaging radiologists using a probe that precisely targets the area to be checked. An important tool in the fight against breast cancer, this procedure allows physicians to make a rapid, accurate and conclusive cancer diagnosis without surgery. For the patient, it causes minimal scarring and involves less trauma, pain, time and expense.
Ultrasound, also called sonography, is a method of viewing organs and tissues using high-frequency sound waves. Our Women's Imaging Center offers both conventional and 4-D ultrasound exams. A 4-D ultrasound uses specialized computer software to generate a picture-like image. Ultrasound can be used to help diagnose breast abnormalities or guide needle biopsies, which use needles to sample cells from tissues for laboratory testing.
A 4-D ultrasound is also used to provide pictures of unborn babies, starting at approximately 28 weeks of gestation. Ultrasound images can show the movement of a fetus as well as complex bodily functions such as blood flow and heart valve operation. A complimentary 4-D exam is offered to all parents who have their diagnostic sonogram at the Women's Imaging Center.
DEXA Bone Screening
To diagnose osteoporosis (loss of calcium in the bones) with complete accuracy, the Women's Imaging Center uses an enhanced technology called dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA). During DEXA, a patient lies on a flat table while a scanning arm moves overhead, measuring the absorption level of bone and tissue areas. This quick, painless procedure uses less than one-tenth the amount of radiation in a standard chest X-ray.
Other Imaging Services
Patients at the Women's Imaging Center are within walking distance of other imaging services at the hospital or the Medical Imaging Center, including computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), nuclear medicine, fluoroscopy and positron emission tomography (PET).
Learn more about tests and imaging at Reston Hospital.