Time = Brain
That's the critical equation to remember if you feel you or someone you know may be experiencing a stroke–which is why you want to get your stroke care close to home at Reston Hospital Center. We're in your neighborhood and we care about your health.
Your First Choice for Stroke Care
We're a Certified Primary Stroke Center, as designated by The Joint Commission, the nation's leading healthcare accrediting agency. Our certification means you can count on us to consistently meet exacting national standards for stroke care, including door-to-needle (DTN) times of 60 minutes or less for patients who may have experienced ischemic stroke (loss of blood to the brain) to receive clot-dissolving drugs (thrombolytic therapy). We deliver stroke care in a prompt, systematic and compassionate manner.
- When we're notified of a potential stroke patient, our Reston Hospital stroke care team calls a Code Neuro. That's our well-established and highly integrated process–also linking us to area first responders (EMS)–for quick response, diagnosis and treatment of stroke.
- Our continuous treatment for you begins before you even get to the hospital–as soon as you're identified as a stroke patient–which improves the care you receive across our continuum of services.
- Then, we follow you all the way through our ER, into intensive care, rehabilitation and beyond.
Fast Response. Comprehensive Care.
You can rely on Reston Hospital for the fast response and effective stroke treatment you need to save your brain and safeguard your quality of life. Our comprehensive stroke care program offers a complete range of medical and surgical interventions, as well as stroke rehabilitation services for inpatients and outpatients to treat:
- Ischemic stroke – Loss of blood flow to the brain, resulting from a clot-blocked artery
- Hemorrhagic stroke – Bleeding into the brain, resulting from a ruptured artery in the brain
- Transient ischemic attack (TIA) – An episode that starts like a stroke but resolves itself without noticeable symptoms
Nationally recognized stroke care
Reston Hospital Center has received the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Get With The Guidelines® Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award. The award recognizes the hospital's commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines.
Reston Hospital Center earned the award by meeting specific quality achievement measures for the diagnosis and treatment of stroke patients at a set level for a designated period. These measures include evaluation of the proper use of medications and other stroke treatments aligned with the most up-to-date, evidence-based guidelines with the goal of speeding recovery and reducing death and disability for stroke patients. Before discharge, patients also must receive education on managing their health, and get a follow-up visit scheduled, as well as other care transition interventions.
Our Rehabilitation Services Benefit Stroke Survivors
After your stroke, we partner with you on the road to recovery and work with you to regain function, skills and independence. Take advantage of rehabilitation services provided by Reston Therapy & Fitness.
More About Stroke
More information on strokescan be found in our online Health Library.
Call the American Stroke Association's Stroke Family Warmline at (888) 478-7653.
See the latest version of the Patient and Family Stroke Education Handbook from the American Stroke Association.
Review the helpful online guide Explaining Stroke from the National Stroke Association.