Fairfax County is currently experiencing very high rates of flu, and we are restricting visitation to our most vulnerable patients.
In Labor & Delivery and Postpartum Units
- Only mom, her chosen partner and one support person will be allowed on the unit
- No children (Including siblings), extended family, friends or neighbors
Leading Pregnancy and Childbirth Care in the Heart of Reston
When you want an award-winning OB/GYN team to help you start or expand your family, come to Reston Hospital Center. Our birth center in Northern Virginia is recognized by Healthgrades among the top 10 percent of hospitals for exceptional care and outcomes during childbirth.
We offer safe, supportive maternity services to suit every type of pregnancy — from high-tech monitoring for high-risk pregnancies, to low-intervention and midwifery options for natural labor and delivery. We also offer a personalized care from a nurse, called a birth navigator, to help you through your journey. Watch a local OB/GYN doctor share advice for choosing the ideal birth center for your family.
Our comprehensive pregnancy and birth services include:
- Prenatal classes and education
- High-risk pregnancy care
- Neonatal intensive care
Why More Women Choose Reston Hospital Center for Their Baby’s Birth
When you have your baby at Reston Hospital Center, you receive customized pregnancy and childbirth care. Families choose us because:
- We’re recognized for the quality of our care. In 2017 and 2018 we received Excellence Awards in Obstetrics and Gynecology and Labor and Delivery from Healthgrades, an independent organization that collects objective, meaningful data about health care quality and safety. This means we’re among the top 10 percent of hospitals evaluated for exceptional care and clinical outcomes during childbirth.
- Experience counts. On average, we deliver around 4,000 babies a year. And our caregivers — including obstetricians, gynecologists, anesthesiologists, maternal-fetal medicine specialists, neonatologists, nurse practitioners, and certified nurse midwives —work closely as a team to make sure every delivery is safe and smooth.
- We support your preferences. You know your body better than anyone, and we trust your instincts. We’ll help you plan a comfortable, memorable delivery that works for you. We also welcome and support doula care.
- You and your baby are safe here. Because unexpected complications can occur during labor and delivery, it’s important to choose a birth center that can handle emergencies at a moment’s notice. We offer a Level III NICU for premature or critically ill newborns, and enhanced security measures.
- Continuous care for your whole family. Reston Hospital Center offers specialized health services for all your family’s needs, from birth to old age. This includes pediatric emergency, hospital, and specialty care, and women’s health services for every stage of life.
- Valet parking and convenient access. Getting in and out is easy here. We provide stress-free access, including ample parking and free valet services at the emergency room and Pavilion II. Valet is available weekdays from 6 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
The First Nine Months – Prenatal Care for You and Your Baby
Whether this is your first child or your fourth, we help you stay healthy, plan for birth, and care for yourself and your newborn with confidence. We offer:
- Birth center tours and childbirth classes. We offer guided tours of our maternity unit, so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time. We also have a wide range of classes covering labor and delivery, breastfeeding, and caring for newborns.
- Personalized birth planning. Our birth navigator is a nurse who helps you design your perfect birth experience. You choose from an array of services, including midwifery care and low-intervention birth options such as natural pain management, wireless fetal monitoring, delayed umbilical cord clamping, and immediate skin-to-skin contact.
- High-risk pregnancy care. It’s natural to feel nervous if you’re carrying multiples, have a medical condition, or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery. But you can take comfort knowing our specialists routinely and successfully care for women with high-risk pregnancies.
The Big Day – Labor and Delivery Care That’s Customized and Comfortable
You’ll welcome your baby in a safe, soothing environment. We offer:
- A private, peaceful labor experience. Our spacious birthing suites with private bathrooms and showers allow you to labor your way, with the help of your caregiver or support person.
- Family-friendly setting. Labor and delivery can take time. We offer ample accommodations for you and your partner, including comfortable overnight sleeping arrangements.
- Around-the-clock physician coverage. Our birth center is staffed by doctors called OB hospitalists, who provide routine and emergency care to patients in the hospital. This means your labor and delivery is managed by a doctor until your own OB/GYN arrives, or in the event your doctor is unavailable.
- Medical team ready for anything. Our team is here for whatever you need, 24/7. We have the latest obstetric technology and resources, including anesthesiologists and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency C-sections.
After Baby’s Arrival – Postpartum Care with Ongoing Support
You and your new baby will receive abundant attention and support during your hospital stay, and after your transition home. Our services include:
- Family-centered care. We practice couplet care (also known as rooming in), so you and your partner can bond with your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during examinations. And the same nurse cares for you and your baby. We also understand that parents sometimes need a little rest. Your baby can stay overnight in our respite nursery staffed with experienced nurses.
- Comprehensive breastfeeding support. If you plan to breastfeed, our International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants will help you after delivery and throughout your hospital stay to support successful breastfeeding.
- Restorative massage. To help alleviate pain and promote healing, we offer new moms a relaxing postpartum massage. This service is available on weekdays and some weekends.
- Ongoing support and counseling. It’s natural to feel overwhelmed with the challenges of motherhood, but you don’t have to face it alone. We offer screening for postpartum depression and therapy is available nearby at our sister facility, Dominion Hospital, in Falls Church. Get free 24/7 phone support by calling (703) 538-2872.
- Baby photography. Reston Hospital Center partners with Sweet Seedlings for newborn portraits and an online gallery for family and friends. Learn more about the Sweet Seedlings photo experience.
Baby on the way? Chances are you have a million questions about feeding, sleep schedules, and babyproofing. Our classes help you feel confident and well-prepared.
Having a baby is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. So is choosing where to have your baby. Use our guide to compare your options and find your ideal birth center.
Illness and injury tend to strike when you least expect it. Learn when you should bring your baby to the nearest ER, and when it’s okay to wait for your doctor’s office to open.