Reston Hospital Center Partners with Nation's Premier Provider of Neonatal Intensive Care - Children's National
While we can’t always predict which babies will need intensive treatment, Reston Hospital Center is always prepared.
Pregnancy and birth can be as complicated as they are remarkable. That’s why it’s important to choose a birth center that can handle any situation.
Our Level III neonatal intensive care unit provides lifesaving care for the tiniest and most critically ill infants, with a Children's National neonatologist on-site 24/7. The care team from Children’s National is now providing on-site advanced short- and long-term care services for babies at RHC who require a higher level of care due to premature birth, labor complications or birth defects. Under our partnership, patients now have access to the clinical expertise of Children's National providers in a location closer to home. Children’s National was recently ranked number one in the nation for neonatology by U.S. News and World Report for the third year in a row.
Why Choose Reston Hospital Center for Neonatal Intensive Care
If your baby needs to spend time in our NICU, rest assured we offer expert care and abundant attention. Families also choose us for:
- Top neonatal specialists and a team-based approach. Our experienced team is led by neonatologists (doctors with advanced training in caring for sick or premature newborns). It also includes neonatal clinical nurse specialists, respiratory therapists, physical therapists, pharmacists, social workers, and lactation consultants.
- Around-the-clock readiness. Our infant resuscitation team and other caregivers are ready to handle emergencies at a moment’s notice. . If your baby needs immediate care from a doctor in the middle of the night, we don’t have to wait for on-call support to arrive.
- Access to Level IV NICU care. If your baby needs complex subspecialty or surgical care, our partnership with Children's National Medical Center means we can help. This nationally ranked pediatric hospital in Washington, D.C., offers the highest level of neonatal intensive care available.
- Comprehensive pediatric care. If your baby’s condition will require additional medical care later in life, we offer advanced pediatric care on-site, including emergency, hospital, and specialty and surgical services.
A High Level of Care for a Broad Range of Concerns
Our NICU team provides short- and long-term care for babies with many conditions and complications, including:
- Premature birth
- Low birth weight
- Complications during labor and delivery, including breech birth, lack of oxygen, meconium in the lungs, or the umbilical cord circling the baby’s neck
- Birth defects including spina bifida, Down syndrome, structural heart defects, and gastroschisis (when the intestines grow outside the body)
- Infections ranging from Group B streptococcus to chlamydia and herpes
- Respiratory problems such as rapid breathing and apnea (pauses during breathing)
- Medical conditions including hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, and jaundice
- Exposure to opioids, other drugs, or alcohol in the womb
Exceptional, Family-Centered Service
Reston Hospital Center offers the complex care your baby needs — and the support you deserve. Our family-centered services include:
- Extended visitation. You can stay by your baby’s side nearly 24 hours a day. Our NICU only limits visitors during two, 90-minute shift changes at 6:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- Unlimited bonding. We encourage you to spend plenty of hands-on time with your baby, holding or feeding as often as you can. We also encourage visitation with siblings (age eight or older) and grandparents. Visitors are welcome two at a time, accompanied by one or both parents.
- A family waiting room. Our spacious lounge allows you to catch up on work, spend time with other family members, find educational resources, or communicate with your baby’s caregivers.
- Considerate communication. Our caregivers understand this is a stressful time for your family. We’ll make sure you stay well-informed while your baby is well-cared-for.
Our maternal-fetal medicine doctors specialize in high-risk pregnancies. Learn how we care for women and unborn babies who face potential complications during pregnancy or birth.
Deliver your baby, your way. Learn why expectant mothers prefer the birth center at Reston Hospital Center.
Illness and injury tend to strike when you least expect it. Learn when you should bring your baby to the nearest ER, and when it’s okay to wait for your doctor’s office to open.