Birth Center Tours and Prenatal Classes at Reston Hospital Center
You’re pregnant and probably have many questions: What are the early signs of labor? How often should I feed my newborn? Do babies sleep on their stomachs or backs? And whether you’re a new mom or a seasoned pro, it’s normal to feel overwhelmed by conflicting advice from well-meaning family members, neighbors, and friends.
Relax — you got this. The maternity experts at Reston Hospital Center help you learn to trust your instincts and feel confident in becoming a parent. Our prenatal classes and birth center tours offer up-to-date information and advice about pregnancy, childbirth, and parenthood.
We also offer a birth navigator. Shannon Longendyke is your go-to resource for any questions about having a baby at Reston Hospital Center. Shannon is a registered nurse on our Mother/Baby unit, oversees our maternity tours and classes, and is a mom to three children born right here at Reston Hospital Center. There is no question too big or small and Shannon will be happy to assist you. Email (Shannon.firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (703) 639-9538.
Take a Guided Tour of our Birth Center
Familiarize yourself with our birth center before you go into labor. During our one-hour guided tour, you’ll learn where to check in on the big day, see our labor and delivery and postpartum rooms up close, peek in the well-baby nursery, and have an opportunity to ask questions about your hospital stay.
Enroll in a Class (or Three)
Our classes cover a wide range of topics suitable to first-time parents and those in need of a refresher. We offer:
- Childbirth Education. This two-part class will answer your most pressing questions about labor and delivery. Topics include the stages of labor, when to call the doctor or go to the hospital, comfort measures, pain control options, birth options, immediate newborn care, and postpartum recovery. This class spans two, four-hour sessions (eight hours total).
- Breastfeeding Education. Our two-hour class introduces breastfeeding with topics including milk production, how to tell if your baby is full, breastfeeding obstacles and rewards, pumping, storage, and more.
- Baby Care Basics. If you’re feeling unsure about how to care for an infant, you’re not alone. During this three-hour class we’ll discuss your newborn’s appearance, feeding, bathing, umbilical cord care, sleep safety, and babyproofing your home. We’ll also provide tips for selecting your baby’s pediatrician.
- Infant CPR. Our 2.5-hour course provides lifesaving information and hands-on training for treating infants who are choking or have stopped breathing.
- Gestational Diabetes Class. This 2.5-hour class is designed for pregnant women with gestational diabetes. Our Certified Diabetes Educator will design a meal plan just for you and review healthy eating options. You’ll learn how to monitor your blood sugar using the blood glucose meter provided to you. And we’ll discuss exercise, medication, and preventing type 2 diabetes.
Ready to take one of these classes? Register online or call (877) 689-3627.