Center for Scoliosis and Spinal Deformity
Award-winning spinal care for complex patients
Refer a Patient
The Center for Scoliosis and Spinal Deformity at Reston Hospital Center is an award-winning destination for patients who need complex spinal care. Conveniently located in Northern Virginia with great access to Washington Dulles International Airport, we treat a wide range of spinal conditions for patients throughout the mid-Atlantic region and beyond. Our team includes spine surgeons, neurosurgeons, physiatrists, anesthesiologists, pain management specialists, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners who work together to provide high-quality care.
From diagnosis to treatment to rehabilitation, patients can receive all of their care in one place. Our team will be with them every step of the way.
Why you should be confident referring your patient to us
Our expert spine surgeons perform over 1,600 spine surgeries per year and have the experience to handle complex cases including patients with scoliosis and spinal deformities. The Reston Hospital Center Spine Team is comprised of nationally-recognized spine surgeons who excel in implementing the latest in surgical advancements for spinal procedures. Milestones and firsts that differentiate our spine care include:
- One of the first in the country to acquire and use the original Mazor Technology platform in 2012, Reston Hospital Center, in collaboration with its surgeons, has been a pioneer in using advanced technology and procedures in the operating room to benefit spine surgery patients.
- Reston Hospital Center acquired the nation’s first Mazor X Stealth Edition. Reston Hospital Center has also acquired a second Mazor X System for our rapidly growing spine program, making us the first in the nation to have two of these robotic systems at one hospital location.
- Reston Hospital Center performed the world’s first spinal fusion using the Mazor X Stealth Edition
- Reston Hospital Center boasts the most comprehensive robotic surgery program in the Mid-Atlantic and is now one of only eight Visiting Clinician Programs (VCP) in the United States where surgeons from around the world come to train on the latest in Mazor technology. The VCP gives surgeons the opportunity to learn about the latest in robotic-assisted spine surgery capabilities from proctoring surgeons.
- More than 1,600 spine surgeries are performed annually at RHC, with over 600 of these procedures utilizing the advanced technology of the Mazor X system, offering patients an advanced, minimally invasive surgical option for the spine.
Guiding You Though the Process: Coordinated Access and Patient Care
For your convenience and better coordinated care for your patients, we have a dedicated Spine Care Navigator. Our navigator can help ease access by scheduling a patient consult for you today by calling (703) 481-2415.
Spine Program Navigator
Ashly Malliarakis is an experienced registered nurse (RN) and serves as the Spine Program Navigator for Reston Hospital Center. In this role, Ashly works in very close contact with patients and our spine surgeons. Ashly helps maintain the connection and communication between patients, nursing and medical staff. Ashly is both an advocate and a resource to help our patients navigate a successful spine surgery journey. She is instrumental in helping educate our patients on what to expect before, during and after surgery. Further, she helps lead the education of nursing staff and internal team members on spine-specific care. Ashly is also responsible for tracking and trending quality and surgical performance data and partnering with our care team to implement continuous process improvement initiatives to ensure that we are offering the best care to our patients and referring physician community.
Our awards at Reston Hospital Center include:
- The National Gold Seal of Approval from the Joint Commission for our spine program.
- A five-star rating from Healthgrades for spinal fusion surgery and patient safety.
- Recognition from the Nurses Improving Care for Health System Elders (NICHE) as one of only eight hospitals in Virginia to achieve the patient-centered care for older adults that improves patient outcomes.
- Recognition from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services on "Core Measures" for surgical care and infection prevention.
The Center for Scoliosis and Spinal Deformity offers a full range of treatment options, including noninvasive treatments, traditional surgery, minimally invasive surgery, and robotic-assisted techniques.
Treatment options for patients include:
- Digital biplane angiography
- Disc replacement surgery
- Interventional spine procedures
- Nerve stimulation techniques
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Spinal fusion
- Spinal injections
Conditions we treat
At the Center for Scoliosis and Spinal Deformity, we treat the following conditions:
- Degenerative disc disease
- Herniated disc treatment
- Scoliosis and kyphosis
- Spinal deformities
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy
- Spinal tumors and cancer
- Spine fractures
- Spine infections
Refer a Patient
To refer a patient to our Center for Scoliosis and Spinal Deformity, please call (703) 481-2415.