Reston Hospital Center is Growing Again!
Between 2012 and 2015, Reston Hospital Center invested over $40 million in expanding our facility and services for the community as the first phase of our master plan. In 2017 we began the second phase of our master plan, continuing with a $72 million expansion to better serve our community. It's now 2019 and here is our latest update on what's been completed and what's coming next.
Phase 1 - Completed
- 180,000 square foot, LEED certified medical office building
- Relocation of imaging services to an updated and expanded space
- Update and expansion of our lobby creating a seamless entry to Pavilion I, Pavilion II, surgical discharge and outpatient testing
- Expansion of pre-op department – we went from 19 to 34 rooms!
- Expansion of surgical recovery – we went from 11 to 30 rooms!
- Addition of 4 operating rooms
- Addition of our 16 bed observation unit for patients who need to remain under our observation, but allowing emergency rooms to be available for more patients and to decrease patient wait times.
- Addition of our Pediatric Emergency Room, housing 5 dedicated pediatric beds
- Updates and facelifts for our existing 30 exam rooms in our ER for your comfort
- Conversion to bedside registration so that our patients get to a room and treated more quickly
- Updates to our cafeteria to improve the overall experience for visitors and staff
Phase 2 – Completed
- Our new patient-visitor parking garage (Garage A) with easy access to our renovated West Wing Entrance will open Summer 2019. The new garage offers 2 levels underground and 2 above to allow more convenient parking options for our valued patients and visitors.
- New patient tower and state of the art 24-bed Intensive Care Unit (ICU), located above our Emergency Room
- New Inpatient Rehabilitation Center featuring 18 private rooms each equipped with a walk-in shower, grab bars and adaptive equipment for toileting and grooming, including ADA sinks and toilets. Our inpatient rehabilitation center also has a gym equipped with state-of-the-art recovery equipment and a full-scale ADA apartment to help patients adapt to daily activities.
- Expansion and renovation of our Women and Children's Services, including our Level III NICU which is now overseen by clinical experts from Children's National Medical Center, ranked #1 by U.S. News and World Report for Neonatology.
- A second Catheterization Lab to continue our service as Northern Virginia's only Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI
Our next phase of development will focus on the renovation of our main entrance and hospital lobby including the finalization of a new visitor-centric corridor that will help to provide easier navigation between the main entrance, west wing entrance, pavilion I and II entrances and our emergency department. Further, we will be making an additional investment into the modernization of several patient care areas to elevate our entire facility to a consistent level for a best-in-class patient experience.
As of August 2019, we will be closing our main entrance for a period of approximately 6 months. To ensure ease of access we will re-open our West Wing entrance and also open our new hospital patient/visitor parking garage (Garage A).
We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we grow together. We're constantly working to improve the patient experience including routine updates to our campus signage and wayfinding plan. Due to the nature of these projects, hospital entrances will be shifted throughout the project and there will be construction traffic and noises.
Please take note of a few changes around our campus and future access point:
- The Main Entrance will be closed throughout this phase of construction, please enter through the West Wing Entrance or Pavilion II Entrance. Note: our elevators are still in full operation.
- Free Valet Parking will be available at the following locations:
- Pavilion II Entrance
- West Wing Entrance
- We ask that all NON ER patients and visitors park in either:
- Garage A — Hospital Patients and Visitors — access to West Wing Entrance
- Garage B — Medical Office Patients, Visitors and Staff — Access to Pavilion I and II Entrance