March 15, 2015
RESTON, VA - Reston Hospital Center’s Research Committee in partnership with Marymount University’s Eta Alpha chapter of Sigma Theta Tau announces a “Call for Abstracts” for their 11th Annual Research Conference. The conference, held on Friday, May 8th at Reston Hospital Center, is open to local and international nurses, students and research fellows and at least one registered nurse must be listed on the submission. All abstract submissions are due to the Reston Hospital Center Research Coordinator, Emma Kurnat-Thoma, PhD, MS, RN by 5 PM on Wednesday, April 1st. Contact hours will be awarded to conference attendees.
- Abstract Format: submitted in Word (.doc)
- Length/Format: abstract length of 1-2 pages with single-sided, portrait orientation
- Margins: 1 inch
- Word Limit: 250 words (not including title, investigator names and affiliations)
- Type Style: Times New Roman, 12 point font
- Names, titles, and organizational affiliations of all investigators
- Name, address, telephone and email for a contact person
- Section headings: Purpose, Background/Significance, Methods, Results, Conclusions.
- Abstract Submission Deadline: 4/1/2015
- Submit to RHC Research Coordinator Dr. Emma Kurnat-Thoma, PhD, MS, RN at: Emma.KurnatThoma@hcahealthcare.com
Research Abstract Selection Criteria
- Submissions featuring quantitative, qualitative, or mixed methods research with clear implications for the practice or science of nursing are highly encouraged.
- For interdisciplinary clinical research teams, at least one investigator must be a Registered Nurse and submitted work must outline how findings are relevant to the practice or science of nursing.
- Methods papers, secondary analyses, pilot data from approved doctoral research, or preliminary findings from extended projects will also be accepted.
- Results from original nursing research will be prioritized for awards.
- Notice of final abstract selections will be issued to investigators on 4/10/2015. Please contact the RHC Research Coordinator, Dr. Emma Kurnat-Thoma, PhD, MS, RN with any questions at: Emma.KurnatThoma@hcahealthcare.com or 703-689-9246.
Reston Hospital Center’s Research Committee’s and Marymount University’s Eta Alpha chapter of Sigma Theta Tau will host their Annual “Spring Into Research Conference” on Friday, May 8th at Reston Hospital Center’s Conference Center from 4:00 AM to 5:00 PM. In its 11th year, this truly unique conference allows students, nurses and research fellows who may not be able to attend a national conference an opportunity, at no cost, to present their nursing research and have it evaluated by a leader in nursing research. This year, the research submissions will be judged by Katy Meilleur, PhD, PPCNP-BC from the National Institute of Nursing Research.
Day of the Conference
- Posters should be no larger than 36 inches high and 48 inches wide.
- Posters must be delivered to the Education Department of the hospital before 1700 on Wednesday May 6, 2015. The Education Department is located in the Medical Office Building across from the main hospital, Suite #120.
- The mailing address is:
1850 Town Center Parkway
ATTN: Dr. Emma Kurnat-Thoma, PhD, MS, RN
Education Department, Suite #120
Reston, VA 20190
- Posters may be removed after 1900 on Friday May 8, 2015.
- Posters that are not removed from the hospital after 7 days will be discarded.
- Investigators are encouraged to be present for the conference.
- Format is “open-house” with refreshments served throughout the day. Participants may arrive at any time and stay as long as they wish.
- Continuing education certificates will be provided to participants who review at least 4 posters, answer brief questions about the posters, and evaluate the conference.
- Awards will be presented for outstanding scientific posters.
Reston Hospital Center is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Virginia Nurses Association, an accredited approval by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.