Reasons for Procedure
- Adverse reaction to the contrast dye
- Injury to the duct (eg, when positioning the catheter or when injecting the contrast dye)
- Breast infection
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Do a physical exam (including a breast exam)
- Order tests, such as a mammogram and blood tests
- Ask you about your medical history—Be sure to tell the doctor if you have ever had an allergic reaction to contrast dye.
- Ask you about the medicines that you take, including any over-the-counter products, herbs, and supplements
- Eat and drink as usual. If you normally take medicine, you can do this, as well.
- Do not apply deodorant, talcum powder, lotion, or perfume near your breasts or under your arms.
- Wear comfortable clothing so you can easily remove your shirt.
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Notice any other changes in your breast (eg, lump or thickening)
- Develop any other symptoms, including a possible allergic reaction to the contrast dye (eg, rash or swelling)
- Develop signs of infection such as heat, swelling, pain, fever, or chills.
Women’s Health.gov http://www.womenshealth.gov/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html/
Women's Health Matters http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/index.cfm/
Breast ductography. Radiopaedia website. Available at: http://radiopaedia.org/articles/breast-ductography-1 . Accessed August 9, 2012.
Ductography. Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center website. Available at: http://www.breastimaging.vcu.edu/services/imaging/ductography.html. Updated August 26 , 2010. Accessed August 9, 2012.
Ductography: how to and what if? RadioGraphics . 2001;133-150.
Ductogram (galactogram). Exempla Breast Care Center website. Available at: http://www.exempla.org/documents/ESJH/adj%5Fductogram.pdf . Accessed August 9, 2012.
Ductogram/galactogram: imaging the breast ducts. Liberty Hospital website. Available at: http://www.libertyhospital.org/Service/DuctoGalactogram/Index.htm . Accessed August 9, 2012.
Galactogram/ductogram. St. Luke’s Hospital website. Available at: http://www.stlukescr.org/files/1212/6652/6917/what%20is%20a%20galactogram%20ductogram.pdf . Updated March 16, 2007. Accessed August 9, 2012.
Galoctography (ductography). RadiologyInfo.org website. Available at: http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=galactogram . Updated April 24, 2012. Accessed August 9, 2012.
What is breast cancer? http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/BreastCancer/DetailedGuide/breast-cancer-what-is-breast-cancer. Updated June 11 , 2012. Accessed August 9, 2012.