Radiation Therapy for Multiple Myeloma
- If the tumor returns to one site and is causing symptoms
- If a compression fracture in the spine is pressing against the spinal cord
- If a bone marrow transplant is to be done—Total body radiation may be given prior to this procedure to eliminate the myeloma cells and prepare the bone marrow for transplantation of the new, healthy stem cells.
Type of Radiation Therapy
American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/home/index.asp .
Cancer Medicine e5. 5th ed. Hamilton, Ontario: BC Decker Inc; 2000.
National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/ .
Rakel R. Bope E, ed. Conn's Current Therapy 2002. 54th ed. St. Louis, MO: WB Saunders Company; 2002: 439-443.
- Reviewer: Mohei Abouzied, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -