(Intravenous Immunoglobulin [IVIg; IgG])
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Autoimmune disease—the body begins to attack its own cells
- Immunodeficiency—low-functioning immune system
- Inflammatory diseases
- Other diseases that weaken the immune system
- Fluid in the lungs
- Damage to the kidneys
- Blood clots
- Allergic reaction to the IVIg
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Call Your Doctor
- Wheezing and/or difficulty breathing
- Slurred or abnormal speech
- Rapid heartbeat or heart palpitations, weak or rapid pulse
- Blue tint to the skin, lips, or fingernails
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or feeling faint
- Hives , rash, or itching
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea , or abdominal cramping
- Cough or nasal congestion
- Reddened skin
National Library of Medicine http://www.nlm.nih.gov/
British Columbia Ministry of Health http://bchealthguide.org/
Canadian AIDS Society http://www.cdnaids.ca/
Adverse effects of intravenous immunoglobulin therapy. American Academy of Allergy Asthma & Immunology website. Available at: http://www.aaaai.org/aadmc/currentliterature/selectedarticles/2003archive/intravenous%5Fimmunoglobulin.html . Accessed May 27, 2007.
Darabi, K, Abdel-Wahab, O, Dzik, WH. Current usage of intravenous immune globulin and the rationale behind it: the Massachusetts General Hospital data and a review of the literature. Transfusion . 2006; 46:741.
Emerson GG, Herndon CN, Sreih AG. Pharmacotherapy . 2002;22(12):1638-1641.
Nydegger UE. Safety and side effects of IV immunoglobulin therapy. Clin Exp Rheum . 1996;14(suppl 15):S53-7.
Orange, JS, Hossny, EM, Weiler, CR, et al. Use of intravenous immunoglobulin in human disease: A review of evidence by members of the Primary Immunodeficiency Committee of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. J Allergy Clin Immunol . 2006; 117:S525.
Sherer Y, Levy Y, Shoenfeld Y. Intravenous immunoglobulin therapy of antiphospholipid syndrome. Rheumatology . 2000;39:421-426. Available at http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/39/4/421 . Accessed May 28, 2007.
- Reviewer: Igor Puzanov, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -