Reducing Your Risk of Social Anxiety Disorder
- See your doctor as soon as you notice the symptoms of social anxiety disorder.
- Avoid smoking , drinking alcohol , and using illicit drugs .
- Avoid caffeine .
- Avoid the following drugs: ephedrine , phenyephrine, isoproterenol , antipsychotic medication, diet pills, drugs for flu or colds, and steroids.
- Attend support groups.
- Attend family or marital counseling if needed.
Social anxiety disorder (social phobia). Anxiety Disorders of America website. Available at: http://www.adaa.org/GettingHelp/AnxietyDisorders/SocialPhobia.asp . Updated October 2008. Accessed October 30, 2008.
Social phobia (social anxiety disorder). National Institute of Mental Health website. Available at: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/anxiety-disorders/social-phobia-social-anxiety-disorder.shtml . Updated October 2008. Accessed October 30, 2008.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -