Reasons for Procedure
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Damage to the eye
- Decreased vision
- Increased eye pressure
- Droopy eyelid
- Need for more surgery
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Complete eye exam
- An A-scan—a test using either sound waves or a laser to determine the strength of the replacement lens
- Administer eye drops
Description of the Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
- You will have an eye examination.
- You will be given eye drops.
- Avoid any strenuous activity until cleared by your doctor. This includes lifting and bending.
- You will wear a patch on your eye after your surgery. Do not remove the patch until instructed by your doctor.
- Ask your doctor about how to wash your face and when it is okay to shower or bathe.
- You may be given an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory eye drops to use for several weeks after your surgery. Use these eye drops as prescribed. Store them as advised by your pharmacist or doctor. Most anti-inflammatory drops need to be shaken very well prior to each time you put them in your eyes.
- Do not drive or operate machinery until advised by your doctor.
- Take pain medicines as recommended by your doctor.
- Your doctor may ask you to wear an eye shield at night.
- Make it a habit to wear UV-protecting sunglasses when you are outside.
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Change in vision
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, bleeding, or discharge from the affected eye
- Visual disturbances, such as double vision, flashes of light, floaters, part of the field of vision is missing, or eye pressure
American Academy of Ophthalmology http://www.aao.org/
American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS) http://www.eyesurgeryeducation.com/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/index%5Fe.html
Agency for Health Care Research and Quality website. Available at: http://www.ahrq.gov/ .
American Academy of Ophthalmology website. Available at: http://www.aao.org .
- Reviewer: Christopher Cheyer, MD
- Update Date: 00/22/2012 -