Diagnosis of Metabolic Syndrome
- In men—waist measurement greater than or equal to 40 inches (102 cm)
- In women—waist measurement greater than or equal to 35 inches (89 cm)
- In men—HDL levels less than 40 mg/dL (1.0 mmol/L)
- In women—HDL levels less than 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L)
- Waist circumference—a measure around your hips and belly button
- Blood pressure
- Total cholesterol
- Serum triglyceride levels
- LDL cholesterol levels—LDL stands for low-density lipoprotein and is the bad cholesterol.
- HDL cholesterol levels test
Deen D. Metabolic Syndrome: time for action. Am Fam Physician. 2004;69:2875-2882.
Gami AS, Witt BJ, Howard DE, et al. Metabolic syndrome and risk of incident cardiovascular events and death: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;49:403-414.
Grundy SM. Metabolic syndrome: a multiplex cardiovascular risk factor. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:399-404.
Grundy SM, Cleeman JI, Daniels SR, et al. Diagnosis and management of the metabolic syndrome. Circulation.2005;112:e285-e290.
How is metabolic syndrome diagnosed? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ms/diagnosis.html. Updated November 3, 2011. Accessed May 10, 2013.
Metabolic syndrome. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what. Updated March 29, 2013. Accessed May 10, 2013.
Reaven GM. The metabolic syndrome: requiescat in pace. Clin Chem. 2005;51: 931-938.
Symptoms and diagnosis of metabolic syndrome. American Heart Association website. Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/MetabolicSyndrome/Symptoms-and-Diagnosis-of-Metabolic-Syndrome%5FUCM%5F301925%5FArticle.jsp. Updated August 24, 2012. Accessed May 10, 2013.
Tan CE, Ma S, Wai D, et al. Can we apply the National Cholesterol Education program Adult Treatment Panel Definition of the metabolic syndrome to Asians? Diabetes Care. 2004;27:1182-1186.
Third Report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III): Executive Summary. National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/cholesterol/atp3xsum.pdf. Accessed May 10, 2013.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 05/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/10/2013 -