Getting your recommended screenings is one of the most important ways to take care of your health. At Reston Hospital Center, we make this easy and comfortable at our renowned Women's Imaging Center.
Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
The Women's Imaging Center at Reston Hospital, an American College of Radiology Breast Imaging Center of Excellence, has set a new standard in the region for advancing the early detection of breast cancer and other conditions. The center offers a full range of imaging services–from mammography and stereotactic breast biopsy to ultrasound and bone density screening–in a relaxed, spa-like environment where you're treated with respect and compassion.
At the Women's Imaging Center, you benefit from:
- An expert, caring staff – Our specially trained physicians, technologists and office staff share a passion for excellence and strive to make your screening a positive experience. Our dedicated breast care nurse navigators assist you through every stage of diagnosis and treatment, providing support and coordinating care with other hospital departments as needed.
- A full range of services – Unlike some imaging centers, we offer mammography, ultrasound and bone density testing–along with required follow-up tests–all in one setting.
- Advanced technology – Our advanced clinical technology–including digital mammography, 4-D ultrasound and the latest bone density screening equipment–means you get prompt and accurate results.
- Superior comfort in a peaceful setting – Our beautifully appointed waiting area includes comfortable furniture, a complimentary coffee bar and a plasma TV, as well as a children's play space and other amenities to make sure you feel relaxed and at home.
- Scheduling convenience – We schedule your procedure promptly at a time that works best for you–even if it's on a Saturday.
Services We Offer
The Women's Imaging Center uses proven best practices and offers the latest screening technology.
A mammography is a low-dose X-ray picture of the breast. Digital mammography, the gold standard in breast screening, delivers better images than traditional film mammography–especially for women under 50 or those with dense breast tissue. Digital images can be viewed immediately and transferred quickly to physician offices.
Our computer-aided diagnosis (CAD) system assists the radiologist (a physician who reads X-rays) in identifying abnormalities in the breast.
A screening mammography is the best way to find breast cancer early–and the earlier the disease is diagnosed, the more likely it can be treated effectively. As women age, their risk of breast cancer increases. For that reason, we recommend a yearly mammogram for women age 40 and older.
Stereotactic Breast Biopsy
Stereotactic breast biopsies are conducted by our experienced breast imaging radiologists using a probe that precisely targets the area to be checked. An important tool in the fight against breast cancer, this procedure allows physicians to make a rapid, accurate and conclusive cancer diagnosis without surgery. For the patient, it causes minimal scarring and involves less trauma, pain, time and expense.
Ultrasound, also called sonography, is a method of viewing organs and tissues using high-frequency sound waves. Our Women's Imaging Center offers both conventional and 4-D ultrasound exams. A 4-D ultrasound uses specialized computer software to generate a picture-like image. Ultrasound can be used to help diagnose breast abnormalities or guide needle biopsies, which use needles to sample cells from tissues for laboratory testing.
A 4-D ultrasound is also used to provide pictures of unborn babies, starting at approximately 28 weeks of gestation. Ultrasound images can show the movement of a fetus as well as complex bodily functions such as blood flow and heart valve operation. A complimentary 4-D exam is offered to all parents who have their diagnostic sonogram at the Women's Imaging Center.
DEXA Bone Screening
To diagnose osteoporosis (loss of calcium in the bones) with complete accuracy, the Women's Imaging Center uses an enhanced technology called dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA). During DEXA, a patient lies on a flat table while a scanning arm moves overhead, measuring the absorption level of bone and tissue areas. This quick, painless procedure uses less than one-tenth the amount of radiation in a standard chest X-ray.
Other Imaging Services
Patients at the Women's Imaging Center are within walking distance of other imaging services at the hospital or the Medical Imaging Center, including computed tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), nuclear medicine, fluoroscopy and positron emission tomography (PET).
Learn more about tests and imaging at Reston Hospital.
Resources for Your Health
Schedule a Procedure
To schedule a mammogram or other procedure, call the Women's Imaging Center at 703.639.WI4U (9448). You can also schedule your mammogram online. Some procedures require a physician referral.