On the Forefront in Spine Surgery
Partnerships between Reston Hospital Center and spine care experts in Northern Virginia provide the benefit of working with eminent spine surgeons who continually find new and better ways to treat spine-related conditions using advanced, minimally invasive tools and procedures that promote quicker recoveries and better long-term outcomes.
With broad expertise and decades of experience, our surgeons are committed to providing you the same high-quality spine care they routinely provide to professional athletes and Olympians. That means they spend time with you to learn about your overall health, underlying medical conditions, lifestyle, job requirements and expectations so they can help determine the safest, simplest and most appropriate treatment methods.
Minimally Invasive Means Getting Back on Your Feet Sooner
Spine surgeons at Reston Hospital lead the way in the use of minimally invasive surgical techniques to treat a wide range of spine conditions. In minimally invasive surgery, a tiny camera on a thin tube is inserted through a small incision to reach the injured or diseased area. The camera projects images onto a screen in the operating room so surgeons can view the area where they're working.
Today, our spine surgeons stabilize joints, decompress pinched nerves, fuse bones and correct deformities–all through a few small incisions. That means:
- Less pain and scarring, as surgeons don't need to retract, cut or move muscles to reach the spine
- Faster recovery, as patients experience dramatically shorter hospital stays–typically ranging from less than a day to two days, instead of four or more days
While minimally invasive surgery may not be appropriate for every situation, ongoing surgical advances mean that even traditional surgeries produce less pain and faster recovery.
Pioneering Spine Procedures
The innovative spine surgeons who practice at Reston Hospital break new ground regionally and nationally in spine care and surgery.
Reston Hospital was first in the mid-Atlantic region–and only 14th nationwide–to use the Mazor Renaissance™ Surgical Guidance System for precise, robotic-assisted maneuvering and placement of surgical instruments and implants. In addition, our surgeons performed the region's first:
- Cervical artificial disc replacement
- Lumbar artificial disc replacement
- XLIF (eXtreme Lateral Interbody Fusion) procedure–a minimally invasive spinal surgery performed through small incisions in a patient's side
- Spinal laser surgery
- Use of genetic engineering in surgery
- Use of bioresorbable implants in spinal surgery
- Application of physical therapy core stabilization and strengthening techniques in spinal rehabilitation
Learn more about advanced surgical approaches and technologies at Reston Hospital's Institute for Robotics & Advanced Minimally Invasive Surgery.
Explore spine-related diagnostic and surgical procedures in the Back Pain Center at our online Health Library.