Lung cancer, the most common cancer originating in the thoracic (chest) cavity, often starts in the cells lining the air passages. Two primary types of lung cancer, small cell and non-small cell, grow differently and require different treatments. Screening to detect lung and thoracic cancers at their earliest stages is important because symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath and bloody mucus may not be apparent until the cancer is very advanced.
Tobacco smoking remains the primary cause of lung cancer, although anyone–even nonsmokers–can contract the disease from some combination of genetics, radon or asbestos exposure, air pollution or secondhand tobacco smoke. Treatments include surgery, chemotherapy and radiation or a combination of options.
Excellence in Lung & Thoracic Care
At Reston Hospital Center, we offer you the latest procedures for screening, diagnosis and treatment of lung and thoracic cancers–all focused on enhancing your quality of life. In fact, our program received the American College of Surgeons (ACoS) Outstanding Achievement award.
Low-Dose CT Screening for Lung Cancer
Early detection remains the key to better outcomes. To assess your risk for lung or thoracic cancer, take advantage of screenings offered through the Northern Virginia Thoracic Oncology Program at Reston Hospital's Center for Thoracic & Esophageal Disorders. You receive a consultation, a low-radiation-dose CT scan and a follow-up appointment with one of our lung or thoracic specialists. You benefit from the most advanced screening practices in the region, including:
- Multiple early and accurate screening options, such as endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS), for those at risk of lung cancer
- Prompt diagnosis and effective treatment that improves outcomes
- Advanced robotic- and video-assisted lung and thoracic surgery by members of our Institute for Robotics and Advanced Minimally Invasive Surgery to reduce risk and enhance survival
Thoracic Oncology Program Coordinator/Nurse Navigator
A hallmark of our Reston Hospital program is the seamless, coordinated care delivered by our thoracic oncology program coordinator, who also serves as our nurse navigator. One-to-one guidance from this specialized nurse practitioner–who's the single point of contact for you and your family–helps you move smoothly from initial assessment and diagnosis to treatment and beyond, assisting you with all your arrangements, scheduling your screening appointment and facilitating communication among the physicians involved in your care.
Teams From Multiple Disciplines Plan Your Care
Our multispecialty approach means a dedicated team of diverse clinical professionals–such as medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, thoracic surgical oncologists and pulmonologists–discusses your care, provides individual attention your situation and maps a plan of treatment, recovery and follow-up tailored precisely to your needs.
Advanced Technology for Diagnosis & Treatment
Our experienced medical experts treat new and recurring lung, esophageal, pleural, mediastinal and chest wall tumors with the most advanced and minimally invasive technology:
- Esophageal ultrasound (EUS)
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) to help determine the level (stage) of lung cancer
- Specialized tools for difficult-to-reach distal lesions
- 3.0 Tesla MRI and PET diagnostic imaging to assess tumor growth
- 64-slice CT scanner with simulator and respiratory correlation for faster and more accurate radiation treatment planning
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS)
- Minimally invasive da Vinci® robotic-assisted surgery
- Chemotherapy, biotherapy and infusion
- Interventional radiology and radiation therapy
Support for Your Success
The more you know, the better your outcome can be. That's why we integrate education and support throughout our program of care. You benefit from our broad range of services, such as:
- Dietitians who can address your changing nutritional needs as you recover from surgery and pursue follow-up treatments
- Case managers to assist with all aspects of your care, from diagnosis through treatment, recovery and beyond
- Rehabilitation services provided by our partners at Reston Therapy & Fitness to help you improve your quality of life
- Our medical oncology department's extensive educational materials and resource library
- A variety of support options for women and men, including Look Good...Feel Better and Man to Man support groups