Breastfeeding Support for You & Your Baby
The lactation program at Reston Hospital Center provides education, support and counseling to mothers before birth and throughout the breastfeeding journey. Along with lactation consultants certified by the International Board of Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC), all Reston Hospital maternity nurses are trained in lactation support. Lactation services are available seven days a week.
Lactation services at Reston Hospital include:
- Prenatal breastfeeding course: Preparation for Breastfeeding
- Bedside consultation for new moms from our lactation consultants
- Ongoing support through our outpatient services at The Center for Breastfeeding
- Breast pumps and other breastfeeding accessories available for rent or purchase
The Center for Breastfeeding
We recognize that you may still need support and expert advice after you go home with your baby, especially while breastfeeding. Our Center for Breastfeeding provides comprehensive outpatient lactation services by International Board Certified Lactation Consultants to assist you during this time. Prenatal consults are also available.
Our mission is to promote, support and protect the breastfeeding relationship between mother and baby, and provide the necessary assistance and instruction to achieve this goal. We believe that we can accomplish this through providing information, education, evaluation and management.
Our Outpatient Breastfeeding Center is staffed by International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) who assess and treat both mother and baby at the same visit and consultation is by appointment only.
Outpatient lactation consultation services include:
- General assessment of mother and baby for breastfeeding management
- Evaluation of breast milk intake during feeding
- Feeding strategies to support successful lactation
- Assistance with establishing good milk supply
- Assistance with breastfeeding premature babies or multiple births
- Managing sore nipples and other sources of breast discomfort during feedings
- Evaluation of low/slow weight gain in baby
- Preparation for return to work – pumping management
- Re-establishing milk supply/ breastfeeding after interruption
- Treatment of engorgement, plugged duct, thrush or mastitis
The Center for Breastfeeding at Reston Hospital Center is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Appointments can be made by calling 703.689.9085.
Research indicates that mothers who are supported in their breastfeeding journey are more likely to breastfeed longer and experience a greater feeling of success. At Reston Hospital, we're committed to helping new moms breastfeed through the Baby-Friendly Hospital initiative, practicing the 10 steps outlined by the World Health Organization to encourage safe and successful breastfeeding.
Our goal is to ensure every new mother has the education and tools necessary to breastfeed her baby. Currently, more than 70 percent of mothers who give birth at Reston Hospital continue to breastfeed six months after birth–a rate more than double the national average.
If breastfeeding is not possible, our lactation consultants provide advice on healthy bottle feeding, proper formula preparation and other aspects of feeding your new baby.
Learn more about our skilled, compassionate care for moms and babies at Reston Hospital.