When your heart needs surgery, you want expertise you can trust for the best possible outcome. Reston Hospital Center is proud to partner with the renowned cardiovascular surgical team at Washington Hospital Center's Heart & Vascular Institute for cardiac surgical services.
Nationally Recognized Cardiac Surgical Care Close to Home
Washington Hospital Center's Heart & Vascular Institute is a nationally recognized leader in cardiovascular care, with surgeons performing more than 1,800 open heart surgical procedures per year. Our seamless alliance with Washington Hospital Center allows us to bring important advancements in cardiac care to our neighboring communities, including:
- 24-hour surgical back-up via MedStar transport to Washington Hospital Center
- Left ventricular assist device (LVAD) implantation
- Expanded electrophysiology and cardiac catheterization capabilities
Washington Hospital Center's Heart & Vascular Institute is home to the nation's busiest cardiac catheterization center, managing more than 20,000 cases annually, and serving as a training site for the Reston Hospital team. If you need emergency heart surgery, MedStar will transport you directly to Washington Hospital Center's Heart & Vascular Institute, where you'll be met by the cardiovascular team.
Advanced Cardiac Surgical Procedures
This partnership allows us to provide virtually every kind of cardiac surgery to our patients along with careful monitoring and personalized follow-up care by Reston Hospital cardiac staff and affiliates.
Cardiac surgeries we offer include:
- Coronary artery bypass
- Minimally invasive procedures
- Beating-heart/off-pump bypass
- Heart valve repair and replacement
- Cardiac-assist device implantation
- Surgical ablation for atrial fibrillation (Afib), using radiofrequency (heat) or cryoablation (extreme cold) to create scar tissue that blocks abnormal electrical signals in the heart
As the effectiveness and safety of new technologies and procedures are established–with clear benefits to our patients–we are proud to offer them to you.