Skip to main content

GERD Surgery

Reston Hospital Center's program, the Institute for Robotics and Advanced Minimally Invasive Surgery, offers effective and minimally invasive–even incisionless–procedures to correct the anatomical causes of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), helping you get back to eating foods you love and enjoying your life again.

Reston Hospital's Minimally Invasive GERD Treatments

Visit with our specialists to schedule a thorough examination for an accurate diagnosis and discussion to determine if you might be a candidate for a form of GERD surgery. Our experts lead the region in the following procedures:

  • Transoral incisionless fundoplication (TIF) with EsophyX® surgically repairs the valve between the stomach and the esophagus. We were the first in the metropolitan Washington, D.C., region to offer this incisionless procedure with proven results–studies showed 85 percent of patients as heartburn-free three years after surgery. The remaining 15 percent of patients experienced infrequent heartburn and were usually able to treat their symptoms with milder medications like antacids. In addition, the incisionless approach minimizes complications and allows the procedure to be repeated, if necessary.
  • Nissen fundoplication, a laparoscopic procedure, repairs the esophageal valve or corrects hiatal hernia using the advanced technology of da Vinci® robotic-assisted surgery. The less invasive da Vinci system allows surgeons to precisely target the exact area for repair. Da Vinci's precision reduces potential complications or harm to nearby tissues or vessels and minimizes scarring, blood loss, pain and discomfort, while shortening hospital stays and speeding recovery time. If you have other medical conditions, such as diabetes or hypertension, the less invasive da Vinci robotic-assisted surgery option may deliver benefits you'll want to discuss with your physician.
  • Halo® system radiofrequency ablation, a brief and well-tolerated endoscopic treatment for Barrett's esophagus, removes precancerous tissue with heat and prevents esophageal cancer.

Minimally invasive procedures for GERD at Reston Hospital Center offer an alternative to drug therapies. They can provide a permanent solution for acid reflux disease and put an end to your discomfort and pain.

Learn more about GERD/heartburn in our online Health Library.

Explore gastrointestinal services and esophageal testing and digestive studies at Reston Hospital Center.