- All Services
- Ann B. Rodriguez Cancer Center
- Comprehensive GI Center
- Diabetes Center
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Emergency Care
- Heart and Vascular Care
- Thoracic Oncology Program
- Pediatric Center
- Reston Therapy & Fitness
- da Vinci Robotics
- Total Joint Center
- Women's Imaging Center
- Women's Services
In gastrointestinal endoscopy, an endoscope (a medical device consisting of a camera mounted on a flexible tube) is inserted through the mouth or anus (a colonoscopy). For other areas, small incisions are made. During a gastrointestinal endoscopy procedure, small instruments can be used to take samples of suspicious tissues through the endoscope.
The gastroenterology team at the Comprehensive GI Center has special facilities and training to conduct sophisticated tests using these specialized techniques to diagnose digestive problems, and to help you and your physician determine the best way to treat your symptoms. Procedures performed in the endoscopy unit of the Comprehensive GI Center at RHC include:
- EGD (Upper Endoscopy) procedure uses a soft, flexible fiber-optic instrument to examine the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum; a number of therapies can be performed with this instrument as well.
- EUS (Endoscopic Ultrasound) employs an ultrasound device inside a flexible tube to examine the deeper layers of the esophagus, stomach, duodenum, bile duct, pancreas, and gallbladder. Therapeutic uses of this technique include obtaining non-surgical biopsies of difficult-to-reach lesions.
- ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangio-Pancreatography). This is an endoscopic test (see above), during which detailed X-rays can be made of the bile duct and pancreatic duct. Certain therapies, such as removal of stones and placement of stents, can be performed as well.
- Colonoscopy an examination of the colon using a soft, flexible fiber-optic instrument through which biopsies and polyp removal can also be performed.
Need a Gastroenterologist CLICK HERE to access our online physician referral directory or call 1-877-689-DOCS to for a referral over the phone.Back to top