Offer the right liquids to drink
(HealthDay News) -- Strep throat is a bacterial infection that causes a severe sore throat, which can make swallowing and eating quite painful.
The Nemours Foundation suggests how to soothe the pain of strep throat in children:
- Offer fluids such as ginger ale or water, but avoid acidic beverages such as orange juice, lemonade or grapefruit juice.
- Feed your child warm soup.
- Give your child warm sweetened tea or hot chocolate.
- Make sure your child finishes any prescription antibiotic.
- Encourage your child to cover the nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing. Do not share utensils with your child.
- Ask your child's doctor when he or she can return to school.