And help keep kids safe
(HealthDay News) -- Kids seem to climb everywhere, including on the furniture. To keep children safe, parents should make sure that furniture and TVs are securely anchored.
The Safekids.org website offers these suggestions:
- Inspect every TV in your home for stability.
- If you have a flat-screen, mount it to the wall (following manufacturer's instructions) instead of using a TV stand.
- If you have an older-style TV, make sure it is on a sturdy, low piece of furniture.
- Secure top-heavy furniture to the wall using wall straps, braces or brackets.
- Fit your dresser drawers with drawer stops so they cannot be pulled all the way out; keep the heaviest items in the lowest drawers and shelves.
- Don't place toys, food or remote controls on higher areas where children are tempted to climb to reach them.