When you contribute just four hours a week, you can make a big difference in the lives of patients, visitors and staff at Reston Hospital Center, and you'll probably notice how much you benefit, too! Ready to serve? We have a place for you.
Volunteers at Reston Hospital help us expand the capacity of our staff, provide top-quality and cost-effective healthcare services, enhance patient care and satisfaction and extend the reach of our services into the community.
You may be just the right person to:
- Manage the information desk, transfer incoming calls to patient rooms, provide directions to visitors and patients
- Deliver flowers and postal mail
- Assist in patient discharge, fill water pitchers, visit with patients and family members, carry out errands for nursing staff
- Serve as clerical support in non-patient departments
As an Information Desk volunteer, you're responsible for one of the most important functions in the hospital—providing accurate and timely information to visitors and callers in a pleasant and professional manner. The impact you make on visitors or callers strongly affects their overall impression of Reston Hospital Center. You may be responsible for:
- Greeting and welcoming all visitors and patients to Reston Hospital
- Providing directions to patient rooms, doctors' offices, waiting rooms, hospital facilities and to and from the hospital
- Coordinating with greeters for patient/visitor escort, as appropriate
- Delivering mail, newspapers and flowers to patient rooms
- Calling taxi or other transportation for patients/visitors, as needed
- Assisting with mailings, brochure packages or other projects, as requested
- Monitoring and assisting or comforting surgical patient families waiting in the lobby
- Knowing who to call for help or assistance with patient/visitor questions
- Keeping the lobby running smoothly-and keep smiling!
Are you a "people person"? Then your cheerful smile and friendly greeting may be the right fit as a Gift Shop volunteer. Of course, you'll also deliver service in a professional and caring way. You may be responsible for:
- Greeting customers and offering assistance
- Serving as sales personnel and helping with product selection
- Finalizing customer purchases through the check-out process
- Bagging items that customers purchase
- Tracking new items in the shop and replenishing stock as needed
- Keeping the checkout area neat and organized
- Maintaining inventory notes
- Providing general supervision of the Gift Shop area
Ready to offer direct help to nurses and patients-and get your daily exercise in the process? Consider volunteering for a Floor Assignment. You'll enjoy this position if you like being active, love variety in your work and relish interacting with others. You may be responsible for:
- Delivering flowers or newspapers to patient rooms
- Assisting with wheelchairs during the patient discharge process
- Keeping patients' water pitchers filled and offering snacks, as permitted
- Providing blankets, pillow or other requested items
- Picking up supplies from various areas in the hospitals
- Making photocopies of essential paperwork
- Taking beverages to patients, if permitted
- Visiting with patients and family members
Volunteers in our emergency departments help at the registration desk, assist with admissions, communicate with family members in waiting rooms and run errands for staff members.
As a Reston Hospital volunteer some of the great benefits you'll enjoy include:
- Free parking
- Complimentary meal before or after your work period
- Free flu shot
- Scholarship opportunities
- Educational and social events created especially for volunteers
- Annual volunteer recognition ceremony
- Flexible volunteer hours
Become a Volunteer
Learn new skills, develop new interests, make new friends and understand more about how a hospital works. To apply as a volunteer, you must be:
- At least 16 years old
- Willing to make a commitment of four hours per week for at least 12 months
- Able to provide tuberculosis skin test or chest X-ray results no more than nine months old
- Able to provide verification of immunization
- Willing to authorize a background check
- Ready to provide personal references
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, you can pick up an application at the West Wing Information desk.
*Please note we do not have Summer only positions or allow Shadowing or Internships.
When we receive your completed application, we'll review it and schedule a personal interview with the volunteer coordinator to discuss current openings. New volunteers participate in an orientation session and on-the-job training with one of our valued veteran volunteers.
Call 703.689.9240 today and learn how you can join the Reston Hospital Center family of volunteers.