Be part of the Reston Hospital Volunteers...
We all like to picture ourselves as making a contribution. Even something that may seem insignificant can make a big impact. For a hospital patient, a smile and a few words of encouragement can make a difference. By offering their time, our volunteers provide support, encouragement and a fresh perspective to patients and the hospital. In return, volunteers become one of our family, and they join the team of doctors, nurses, staff and others who make our patients feel at home.
Through volunteering, people can learn new skills, develop new interests, make new friends and understand more about how a hospital works. If you've been looking for a place to volunteer where you can make a difference, look no further than Reston Hospital.
We are no longer taking teen applications for Volunteers at this time due a high volume of teens already on a waiting list. Please check back later for positions during the school year. Thank You!
Volunteer benefits include:
- Free parking
- Complimentary meal during work time
- Free flu shot
- Scholarship opportunities
- Discount tickets to various community functions
- Educational and social events especially for volunteers
- Annual volunteer recognition ceremony
- Flexible volunteer hours
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Commitment of 4 hours per week for 100 hours/6 months
- TB skin test results or chest x-ray results no more than 9 months old
- Verification of Immunization
- Background check authorization
- Three Personal references
After receipt of your completed application, you will be called in for a personal interview where we will discuss current openings. Assignments are distributed on a first-come-first-serve basis. You will then be scheduled to attend the next Volunteer Orientation, which is held once per month.
As an Information Desk Volunteer, you perform one of the most important functions in the hospital. Not only are you charged with the responsibility of providing accurate and timely information to visitors and callers, but you also must do so in a pleasant and professional manner. The impact you make on a visitor or caller will reflect strongly on their impression of the hospital in general.
Some of your responsibilities:
- Greet and welcome all visitors and patients to Reston Hospital Center
- Provide directions to patient rooms, doctors offices, waiting rooms, hospital facilities, and to and from the hospital
- Coordinate with Greeters for customer escort as appropriate
- Deliver mail, newspapers and flowers to patient rooms
- Call taxi or other transportation for customers as needed
- Assist with mailings, brochure packages etc. as requested
- Keep track of, and provide assistance and comfort to, families of surgical patients waiting in the lobby
- Know who to call for help or assistance with patient/visitors inquiries
- Most importantly, keep the lobby running smoothly--and don't forget to keep smiling.
Gift Shop Volunteers are "people persons." They greet customers with a smile, and serve them in a friendly, professional, and caring way. Some of your responsibilities as a Gift Shop Volunteer:
- Greet customers and offer assistance
- Serve as sales personnel and help with product selection
- Check out customers with purchases
- Bag items that are purchased
- Keep track of new items in the shop, and replenish stock as needed
- Keep checkout area neat and organized
- Keep notes on inventory
- General supervision of the Gift Shop area
Volunteering on Floor Assignment is a great way to help out nurses and patients, and get lots of exercise in the process. If you like being active, having lots of variety, and enjoy working with people, this may be the volunteer opportunity for you.
Some of your responsibilities:
- Deliver flowers or newspapers to patient rooms
- Discharge patients in a wheelchair
- Keep patients' water pitchers filled and offer snacks as permitted
- Provide blankets, pillow or other request items
- Pick up supplies from various areas in the hospital
- Make photocopies of essential paperwork
- Take beverages to patients if permitted
- Visit with patients
Volunteers are needed in our Emergency Departments to help at the registration desk and with admissions, to communicate with family members in the waiting rooms, and to run errands.
Volunteer Opportunities Contact
For more information on our opportunities or for an application package, please call our Volunteer Director (703) 689-9192 or send an email to Volunteer Services at Reston Hospital Center with your 1) name, 2) home mailing address and 3) phone number. Please Indicate whether you would like an "adult" or "teen" application.